GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,347
1 members and 1,346 guests
flirt5721

Old 12-03-2013, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Recruitment with drug arrest

So I am about to end my first semester as a freshman at my university, where freshmen are not allowed to join fraternities until second semester. During this semester I was arrested in my dorm for possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia (personal use, no distribution or any others involved), I was not kicked out of my residence hall or suspended but I was put on both disciplinary and housing probation for a full calender year.
I want to rush a fraternity next semester, but I am worried that my record and the fact that I will be on probation might hurt my chances of getting a bid.
During recruitment do fraternities check up on this kind of stuff? And if they do would they care about this? Any information would be helpful.

I understand that all schools and fraternities are different, personal experiences and general information is really what I am looking for. I will find out in the spring either way. Thanks for your input.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewage View Post
So I am about to end my first semester as a freshman at my university, where freshmen are not allowed to join fraternities until second semester. During this semester I was arrested in my dorm for possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia (personal use, no distribution or any others involved), I was not kicked out of my residence hall or suspended but I was put on both disciplinary and housing probation for a full calender year.
I want to rush a fraternity next semester, but I am worried that my record and the fact that I will be on probation might hurt my chances of getting a bid.
During recruitment do fraternities check up on this kind of stuff? And if they do would they care about this? Any information would be helpful.

I understand that all schools and fraternities are different, personal experiences and general information is really what I am looking for. I will find out in the spring either way. Thanks for your input.
QFP
Old 12-03-2013, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

I doubt they'll check up on that stuff and I would think your school discipline report would probably fall under FERPA (a federal law which makes education records of students confidential). You should be fine. That said, if you join a house, please either discontinue your drug use altogether or at least do not do it with other people in the Greek system. It's extremely trashy and will reflect upon you and all of your brothers negatively. No one wants to be part of the stoner house.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 12-03-2013, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I doubt they'll check up on that stuff and I would think your school discipline report would probably fall under FERPA (a federal law which makes education records of students confidential). You should be fine. That said, if you join a house, please either discontinue your drug use altogether or at least do not do it with other people in the Greek system. It's extremely trashy and will reflect upon you and all of your brothers negatively. No one wants to be part of the stoner house.
They likely won't check up on it, however if any brothers live in your dorm and especially the floor you live on, and were there at the time of your arrest, it's possible they know.

I would recommend taking Kevin's advice about discontinuing drug use!
Old 12-03-2013, 05:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
I'd ensure your aren't on social probation. At my university, if you were busted for drugs or booze, you automatically went on social probation, which meant you couldn't rush a fraternity.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Well that's not true. Some people want to be part of the stoner house. But keep in mind that breaking laws (and regardless of opinion, it IS illegal where you are) as a member of a fraternity will impact its reputation AND can get the chapter kicked off campus AND can cost the fraternity a literal fortune in lawsuit costs if anything happens as a result of you simply having a good time. Fraternity members DO get held to a higher standard both socially and legally. Keep it off campus and way on the down low. And for dog's sake don't buy, sell or use in or near the house. EVER. Even if the other guys do.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Well that's not true. Some people want to be part of the stoner house. But keep in mind that breaking laws (and regardless of opinion, it IS illegal where you are) as a member of a fraternity will impact its reputation AND can get the chapter kicked off campus AND can cost the fraternity a literal fortune in lawsuit costs if anything happens as a result of you simply having a good time. Fraternity members DO get held to a higher standard both socially and legally. Keep it off campus and way on the down low. And for dog's sake don't buy, sell or use in or near the house. EVER. Even if the other guys do.
Could not agree more with above poster. "IF" it "WAS" a casual thing and is given up, you may stand a chance if you are willing to do so.
Stand up if YOU are clean and let them know. I am sure some of them have also been casual users, but as was said, GLOs try to hold themselves to a higher standerd whether they do or not.
Tell one lie andc they grow bigger and harder to cover up.
Would you want to join a group and then the be closed because of YOU?

LX Z # 1
Alumni