GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,617
1 members and 1,616 guests
MSKKG

Old 11-05-2013, 09:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins&Quills View Post
If my school doesn't open for expansion soon, we're going to have to do initiation in shifts. Pledge classes aren't that large but total is and it's getting hard to manage. I always wondered how the HUGE chapters (totals ~400, pledge classes ~150) did initiation. Shifts/different days makes sense.
It's not that difficult. I've been to a couple of charter ones that were around 150-200 initiates. Churches or auditoriums work well. Get more than one "assembly line" going for all the mystic goodies and you're in and out in an hour or a little more.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
It's not that difficult. I've been to a couple of charter ones that were around 150-200 initiates. Churches or auditoriums work well. Get more than one "assembly line" going for all the mystic goodies and you're in and out in an hour or a little more.
I would assume how difficult it is would depend largely on the specifics of the ritual. More than one "assembly line" may not be possible in some rituals. And based on comments made on GC in the past, some rituals provide for initiates to be initiated as a group, while other rituals require each initiate to be initiated separately.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
I would assume how difficult it is would depend largely on the specifics of the ritual. More than one "assembly line" may not be possible in some rituals. And based on comments made on GC in the past, some rituals provide for initiates to be initiated as a group, while other rituals require each initiate to be initiated separately.
True but I've found with us that people assume it has to be done a certain way when it really doesn't. Yes, some do it one person at a time- or so I am told - but not all. Sometimes it's a case of "we've always done it this way" and they just need to think outside the box. I find that alums sometimes assume the way they did it back in the day is the only way. Time and circumstances change things....
Old 11-06-2013, 07:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
True but I've found with us that people assume it has to be done a certain way when it really doesn't. Yes, some do it one person at a time- or so I am told - but not all. Sometimes it's a case of "we've always done it this way" and they just need to think outside the box. I find that alums sometimes assume the way they did it back in the day is the only way. Time and circumstances change things....
Also true that people may assume it has to be done one way just because that's the only way they've seen it done, but we can't make the assumption that just because there's flexibility in our own ritual, others also have flexibility. My fraternity, for example, is clear on this point.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I also think the problem is that there's more than just the ritual part for some groups. I actually wonder what differences there are for different groups of the same organization.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Also true that people may assume it has to be done one way just because that's the only way they've seen it done, but we can't make the assumption that just because there's flexibility in our own ritual, others also have flexibility. My fraternity, for example, is clear on this point.
Also, doesn't "we've always done it this way" have its significance? A chapter may not want to change the ways things are done, because they think it's important that the whole ritual as best as possible is identical for each initiate.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:20 AM
GreekChat Member

My original use of that statement was aimed at the places where they have issues handling the size of the initiate group but don't ask if there are better ways to do it because they've always done it that way. Is a ritual that lasts 3-4 hours due to the size of the class identical to that of the one that lasted only 1 hour because it was designed for a small group? If it's losing something due to the size of the class or the location, then someone needs to be asking the question - do we HAVE to do it this way?