GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,157
Threads: 115,582
Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 1,529
2 members and 1,527 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 09-17-2013, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Opinion on situation

Greetings to all,

I need your opinion on my situation. I became interested in a NALFO Org in SPR 12. I got the bid to pledge FALL 12. I dropped out of the process after 3 weeks due to personal reasons. After I left I did not speak to the brothers much, only a frequent hi and bye. I still attended fraternity events. In SPR 13 I become more involved. I really thought I was going to get the bid to pledge this semester. I did not get the bid. I was looking forward to it, I feel stupid for dropping out the first time. Since I didn't get the bid the second time around, I began looking at other NALFO Organizations. I came across another one and been in contact with the expansion personnel. I am gathering men and hopefully establish an interest group next semester. Unfortunately I will be graduating in May. My question is, does it look bad that I am looking to join another organization after I get denied from one? Does it seemed like Im just after letters?

P.S. The fraternity I got the bid the first time is the largest on campus. Other NALFO organizations died, therefore there are not many options.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsal91 View Post
Greetings to all,

I need your opinion on my situation. I became interested in a NALFO Org in SPR 12. I got the bid to pledge FALL 12. I dropped out of the process after 3 weeks due to personal reasons. After I left I did not speak to the brothers much, only a frequent hi and bye. I still attended fraternity events. In SPR 13 I become more involved. I really thought I was going to get the bid to pledge this semester. I did not get the bid. I was looking forward to it, I feel stupid for dropping out the first time. Since I didn't get the bid the second time around, I began looking at other NALFO Organizations. I came across another one and been in contact with the expansion personnel. I am gathering men and hopefully establish an interest group next semester. Unfortunately I will be graduating in May. My question is, does it look bad that I am looking to join another organization after I get denied from one? Does it seemed like Im just after letters?

P.S. The fraternity I got the bid the first time is the largest on campus. Other NALFO organizations died, therefore there are not many options.
To be honest? Yes, it kind of looks bad. But you are a grown man, so if you feel like you can deal with the consequences, go for it.

Aside from that, another big question I would have is whether organization #2 has grad chapter intake/alumni initiation. If you graduate before the colony gets off the ground and you still have zeal for the organization (and are otherwise qualified) it would be good to know what your options were.

Sorry it didn't work out with the first org. I sincerely hope that you have done your research into org #2 and aren't bringing them to campus just to spite org #1.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I am adding a second comment because I re-read your first post.

It's only September 17 man... you were JUST trying to go online for another org last spring.... I think you need to chill. Let me tell you a story.

When I went to college, I just KNEW I was going to pledge Omega Psi Phi. I knew it in my spirit! You couldn't tell me nothing, I was GOING TO BE Bill Cosby and Michael Jordan's fraternity brother. I was very close to Alpha Chapter Ques at the time, too. They were everything I wanted to be.

But in my case, during my Freshman year, after spending time with the Ques in the chapter at my school (it was a grad chapter which took undergraduate men - I went to a school with all city-wide chapters), I realized yoooooo this is NOT the right fit for me. I don't even LIKE these dudes! Not the members of the chapter and not the other men who were trying to be down.

I stopped my pursuit halfway through my second semester freshman year. It was a very tough decision, but I knew the org wasn't for me. In fact, I thought Black Greek life wasn't for me.

Fast-forward two and a half years later... long story short, I became roommates with an Alpha and we became good friends. Two years after THAT, I joined an alumni chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha.

I talk openly about my prior interest in Omega because I was not one of those dudes with an Alpha father or who always knew what I wanted to be. But I've been an Alpha for ten years and have even been lucky enough to serve as a national committee chair.

Here's the advice I am giving you:

A summer has gone by. That is not enough time to know that something different is in your heart after you have tried twice and been on line once.

Focus on your studies and on starting a career. If you still have the urge to join an LGLO, you should figure that out later. You might be able to find (or start) an alumni/graduate chapter of one. Or maybe even the original one you wanted to join.

But right now, I think you are hurting and are thirsty for brotherhood and acceptance. That's natural. But I don't think you're ready for the campus talk and the ostracization if you really do bring another organization on campus because you dropped from another. That's a name you don't want for yourself or for the chapter you want to start.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
But right now, I think you are hurting and are thirsty for brotherhood and acceptance. That's natural. But I don't think you're ready for the campus talk and the ostracization if you really do bring another organization on campus because you dropped from another. That's a name you don't want for yourself or for the chapter you want to start.
I think you may be right, I knew I belonged to that organization. It has been difficult to see the other guys I was in the interest group with pledging on campus. I think that could of been me. I think im just confused at the moment and dont know.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:57 PM
GreekChat Member

*dap of understanding*