GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,124
0 members and 1,124 guests
No Members online

Old 01-29-2005, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

University of Northern BC

Does anyone have any updates on their local? I went into Sorority's website (yes, that's their local's name) and it looks like it hasn't been updated since the 2001-02 school year. Is it still active? Their website did say that they want to go international, but it's been difficult for them because there aren't enough NPC alumnae in their area.

Sorority's website: http://www.geocities.com/sorority_unbc/index.html
Old 01-29-2005, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, there is a synopsis here:
http://www.geocities.com/sorority_un.../national.html

Back in 2002, I corresponded with Amanda D. from that sorority for a while, and I know that they were interested in Pi Beta Phi, as well as several which have a presence at UBC. It basically came down to "Was there alumnae support in the area?" and being that UNBC is in Prince George, there really is not.

The last entry shows that they were "Gathering GPA information from our group to finish questionnares from Sigma Sigma Sigma & Alpha Sigma Tau". I haven't heard anything beyond that.

I would assume that there has been no progress, or I am sure that we would have heard about it.

I'm sure that NeonPi would have further insight; she is pretty omniscient on Greek Life in Canada.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Did a search on the schools web site and founda Alpha Pi Beta Sorority. I could not find a web site for them, so i do not know if it is the same organization or a new one. There is a contact email if someone really wanted to know about them.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by alphaalpha
Did a search on the schools web site and founda Alpha Pi Beta Sorority. I could not find a web site for them, so i do not know if it is the same organization or a new one. There is a contact email if someone really wanted to know about them.
I think that is the same group, as the yahoo email address is the same as when it was just plain old "Sorority".
Old 02-02-2005, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe they could not find a national to associate with and just decided to make their own identity. Good for them.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

University of Northern BC

Hello,

I am the VP of Members for the sorority at UNBC. We are now called Alpha Pi Beta. It was very interesting seeing posts about our little sorority up here in Prince George. Yes we changed our name because UNBC Sorority really did not sound greek enough and loosley translated it means 'Sisters with Northern Spirit'. We are doing very well as a group. We currently have 22 active members and about 30 alumni. We have postponed our quest for going NPC because there are so many challenges for us to accomplish that, plus we have really begun to enjoy our independence, but we still do vote every year at the AGM to see if in the follwoing year we will try to go NPC again. So far the vote has been to just stay independent, but who knows, maybe when we get larger this could happen. As for our website, I am supposed to get on this, one of these days.... But when it is done it will be awsome. Well I have to go, but I just thought that I would respond to your thread because you were interested in us. Thanks for thinking of us!
Catherine Goumans
VP of Members and Moral
Old 02-03-2005, 06:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for the update!

One thing to remember, if you stay a Local, there are many draw backs especially in Insurance Costs.

Yes, I am a proponent of affiliation with a National. Just for that reason as one. The other is finding Sisters/Brothers from all over and still having relationships with them.

Last year, I attended My First General Assembly and met many Brothers of LXA who are also on G C. It was a Hoot to see the faces and types of people they were.

But, We all had one thing in common, We wore the same Badge, Letters and had Common Goals. 600 + to be a little exact.

While I started a Local and still wonder if We could have built to a National Status, it is so much harder today.

We also Helped a Local get started at Our School and had a chance to Affiliate with Phi Mu, they decided not to. They have been gone for many Years and only LXA Brothers who helped start them Remember!

Think Long and Hard.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 02-03-2005, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: University of Northern BC

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaPiBeta
Hello,

I am the VP of Members for the sorority at UNBC. We are now called Alpha Pi Beta. It was very interesting seeing posts about our little sorority up here in Prince George. Yes we changed our name because UNBC Sorority really did not sound greek enough and loosley translated it means 'Sisters with Northern Spirit'. We are doing very well as a group. We currently have 22 active members and about 30 alumni. We have postponed our quest for going NPC because there are so many challenges for us to accomplish that, plus we have really begun to enjoy our independence, but we still do vote every year at the AGM to see if in the follwoing year we will try to go NPC again. So far the vote has been to just stay independent, but who knows, maybe when we get larger this could happen. As for our website, I am supposed to get on this, one of these days.... But when it is done it will be awsome. Well I have to go, but I just thought that I would respond to your thread because you were interested in us. Thanks for thinking of us!
Catherine Goumans
VP of Members and Moral
Catherine,

Welcome to GC! I hope you'd stay with us. We're a fun bunch of people!

-Taualumna

p.s. Have you thought of expanding Alpha Pi Beta to other schools in BC?
Old 02-04-2005, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

APB Alive & Well

Hello everyone,

I joined the local sorority at UNBC back in January 1997 and one of the founding members is still my best friend! The group has been through a lot of ups & downs but always comes out on top due to the hard work & dedication of the sisters. Alpha Pi Beta was chosen as our official local chapter name after going through an in depth investigation of what it would take to go national... in the end there were no NPC groups able to colonize us & we decided it would be best to work at strenghtening our existing group. I graduated from UNBC in 2002 & was heartbroken to be leaving my active status with the group so we made a new position, Alumnae Coordinator, and I've been working with our getting our alumnae members organized & in a better position to support the group where it all started. The active girls are usually swamped with the work it takes to run the sorority & train new sisters to take on board positions... as an ex-President of the group, I know how hard it can be! I've started working on a website for the alumnae group:

www.geocities.com/apb_alumnae

It's still in it's early stages & needs a lot of work but I hope to use it to unite the alumnae who are scattered across BC & Alberta. Since I originally started the active group website, I hope to help them out by updating their website & making it easier for them to do in the future.

I had a couple questions about things mentioned in the thread:

- Expanding APB to other schools in BC... you can do that?! That would be amazing!

- What Insurance Costs? I believe we are covered under our undergraduate student association...?

Wow... I have so many things I could ask/talk about... our sorority is so important to me & I get passionate everytime I talk about it... it's so amazing to hear other people asking about it... thanks for the interest!!

Amanda D.
Alpha Pi Beta Alumnae Coordinator

PS - CutiePie it's been FOREVER since we've talked! Good to see you're still around Send me an email sometime! apb_alumnae@yahoo.ca
Old 02-04-2005, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

APB Alumna and Catherine:

Yes, it's possible to expand a local sorority. According to the Canadian Greeks website (www.canadiangreeks.com), ther are two Canadian "nationals". They are: Iota Beta Chi (http://www.iotabetachi.com/main.htm) is in Halifax and in Fredricton and Delta Psi Delta (http://deltapsidelta.4t.com/) are at Carleton and Windsor.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

-Cynthia
Old 08-30-2013, 11:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Expansion

It's been many years since someone has commented on this post. Alpha Pi Beta is still alive and kicking at UNBC. We have some very passionate members and are still trying to pave our own path. Our group had grown to 24 last year and we are headed into Rush with 17 members!

Last year at AGM it was discussed the possibility of creating additional chapters as we gain more and more CNC students (the local college). Another chapter may be in the works one day, but we'll probably stick locally vs. branching further out into the province.