GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek History
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek History Fraternity and Sorority historical discussions. Chat about all topics related to Greek history here.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,164
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, ibtisamkhan
» Online Users: 978
0 members and 978 guests
No Members online

Old 06-15-2013, 10:34 AM
GreekChat Member

"He Who Enters Selfishly Here - Endangers"

"He who enters selfishly here - endangers" is the quote from University of Illinois Dean of Women Maria Leonard which appears on a small card titled "A Code." It was found in a 1938 scrapbook put together by a young fraternity woman who attended her organization's convention 75 years ago.

Amazingly, the sentiments on the card are as true today as they were three-quarters of a century ago. The card reads:
Code:

F Fellowship

R Responsibility

A Altruism

T Tolerance

E Earnest Endeavor

R Refinement

N Nobility of Character

I Individual Development

T Truthfulness

Y Your Best Self

L Loyalty

I Inspiration

F Faith

E Excellence

Dean Leonard spoke twice at the convention. One talk was "Calling All Youth" and the other was "Training for Leadership." A round table discussion followed the latter talk.

Maria Leonard became a member of Pi Beta Phi while she was an undergraduate at Butler University. She served as Dean of Women at the University of Illinois from 1923-1945 and she founded the honorary fraternity Alpha Lambda Delta in 1924 (To read more about her see http://wp.me/p20I1i-y3.)

There is a mystery here, too, unless the answer is so obvious I can't see it. I have no idea what the Eta Alpha Chi crest means. A friend thought it might be a local honorary. The front reminded me of a promotional item done by Leland Leland's (I forget his middle initial) Fraternity Month and I wonder if the back of this would have that info - it was pasted down when I scanned it, so I do not know. If anyone knows, please fill me in on it. (picture of the crest is at http://wp.me/p20I1i-Rk

Last edited by nyapbp; 06-15-2013 at 10:36 AM. Reason: stupid mistakes
Old 06-17-2013, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

This is so interesting, and a code that is still relevant today (and you said).