GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,622
3 members and 1,619 guests
amIblue?, John

Old 04-30-2013, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Chico: Two fraternities, one sorority suspended

The Greek system and university administration at CSU – Chico continue to make news:

http://www.chicoer.com/news/ci_23136...-organizations

excerpt from ^^:

“Chico State suspends Greek organizations
By LARRY MITCHELL-Staff Writer
Posted: 04/30/2013 12:25:57 AM PDT

CHICO — Two fraternities and a sorority have been suspended while Chico State University investigates whether they violated rules about drinking and holding social events.

The suspensions mean that for now fraternities Sigma Chi and Pi Kappa Alpha and sorority Gamma Phi Beta cannot conduct any activities.

The campus' 26 Greek organizations already have been ordered not to hold social events this semester as part of sanctions resulting from a series of incidents involving alcohol last year. . . .”
Old 04-30-2013, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

I'm just waiting for Chico St. to pull the plug on greek life all together.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Me too. It's been nutso since forever.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 04-30-2013, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't think anybody would blame them. However, I have to believe that this is a campus wide trend, not just a Greek Life trend. Campus culture issue which would still exist even if there was no Greek life.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I am glad my fraternity is not involved.. We have had many problems at Chico in the past.....

Go Red!!!
Old 05-01-2013, 12:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Surprise, surprise, surprise....

Why am I not surprised?
This has been happening for years. Sounds like the administration is finally getting serious about it. Kudos to them. This is way overdue.

So what can the chapters do? Philanthropy? Hold brotherhood/sisterhood? Or is that considered a social event?

What no here has mentioned is that Chico has a few locals. I am thinking of one in particular.

I am cautious to think that the greek life will be disbanded. Not that it can't happen. There is a long standing history with greek life at that school. Until the last 10 or 20 years, there was a strong local presence. Again, I have an organization in mind. They are not mentioned anywhere on the at the campus web site. But, anyone who knows Chico knows about them. Although, I am long since removed from them, from what I hear they have long history of hazing. I can only imagine what will happen to them if and when greek life is disbanded. They might actually grow.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Update:
http://www.khsltv.com/content/localn...gFCkPdyMw.cspx

Chico State University Suspends Two Fraternities . . .
Excerpt from ^^: (underlining added}

“Published: 11:17 am Updated: 11:23 am
. . . California State University, Chico has announced the suspension of Pi Kappa Alpha and Sigma Chi Fraternities for violations of University policies governing social Greek letter organizations. Pi Kappa Alpha has been suspended for three years, Sigma Chi for two years. The Fraternities received notice of the suspensions yesterday by letter from C.C. Carter, Director of Student Life and Leadership for the university.

According to the University, The suspensions mean the fraternities cannot have any chapter activities and must take their letters down from chapter houses. Members who live in houses will not be asked to move.

“The University has said that we will have an exemplary Greek system, or we will have none at all,” said Paul Zingg, President of the university. “Most of the members of our fraternities and sororities support this goal. Unfortunately, these two organizations, by their actions, have demonstrated that they either do not believe the seriousness of our intention or have decided that they want no part of it. That's their decision. We have made ours.

The University stated Pi Kappa Alpha was suspended for hosting an "Around the World" progressive party April 13 at three different private homes . . . Alcohol was available at all three houses. No social functions, even excluding alcohol, were permitted this spring for Greek chapters. Pi Kappa Alpha was expressly warned by Student Life and Leadership staff not to hold the April 13th party, but did so anyway.

Sigma Chi was suspended after beer making by one of its officers was discovered in the chapter house. All Greek chapter houses are required to be alcohol-free, and the manufacture of alcoholic beverages by a recognized university organization is a violation of the state Education Code. Sigma Chi was already on probation . . . .”

Last edited by exlurker; 05-07-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPoodle View Post
I'm just waiting for Chico St. to pull the plug on greek life all together.
It's a public school, so they can't really command all organizations to close up shop unless they can get the HQs to follow suit. Additionally, with all of the unregulated locals around campus, simply pulling the plug would probably make the problem a lot worse considering they'd have fewer national organizations helping with oversight and zero ability to regulate the locals.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 05-07-2013, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

What happened to gamma phi
Old 05-08-2013, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2girls View Post
And is AOII still allowed to colonize in 2014?

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
And is AOII still allowed to colonize in 2014?
As far as I know...

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 05-08-2013, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2girls View Post
Here's a news story that addresses that question:

http://theorion.com/news/article_2af...9bb30f31a.html

"Sorority Gamma Phi Beta is on probation for a year, said Connie Huyck, student life and leadership coordinator. The probation restricts the sorority so that it cannot participate in social events and mixers with other Greeks.
The sorority must get approval by Greek life coordinators for all internal events, including sisterhood and alumni events, Huyck said. Gamma Phi Beta will be on probation until the end of spring 2014.

Gamma Phi Beta members must complete educational requirements including risk management workshops by the end of next semester and the chapter president must meet with Greek life coordinators on a monthly basis, she said."
Old 05-08-2013, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

So by making the fraternities take down their letters but not move out of their housing, they are basically turning them into locals or sub-rosa groups. Brilliant.