GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,200
Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,242
2 members and 1,240 guests
flirt5721, LaneSig

Old 04-23-2013, 03:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Rushing as a sophomore at non SEC school questions

I attend a non SEC school in the South. Greek life is not huge here but it is still a big part of the university. I was unable to rush my freshman year due to conflicting problems with the sickness of a very immediate family member and I thought it would be unwise and disrespectful to my family to commit myself to something like this at the time. How common is getting a bid when rushing as a sophomore in your opinion?
Old 04-23-2013, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Keep in mind I'm just one person and these are my observations, but I'm in the south and know lots of guys (through my sons and my friends' children) who have gone through fraternity recruitment. Based on what I've seen, your sophomore standing should not be a problem. Remember, unlike sororities, fraternities don't have "quotas" and "chapter totals"...if they like 50 men, they can bid 50 men.

I personally know quite a few guys who have pledged as sophomores at non-SEC southern schools such as Georgia Southern. Heck, I know some who have been sophomore pledges in the SEC. I know two sophomores who pledged fraternities at Auburn this past fall, and one at UGA. Also know of two juniors who pledged at Tennessee in 2012 and a sophomore who pledged at Ole Miss in 2011...so even in the SEC, fraternity membership does not appear to be closed off to non-freshmen.

Granted, there will always be more freshmen in pledge classes, but I think you'll be good to go. Fraternities are looking for guys they think will fit in and make good brothers, so give it your best and look for fraternities that seem to be the best fit for you -- but don't put all your bid hopes into one. Check out several. All the best to you!

Last edited by greekdee; 04-23-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I go to a predominantly none Greek University in the Southern region where Greek Life makes itself known as well. If its not SEC, you should be fine. In my pledge class there were a few sophomores (I rushed as a freshman) and this past Fall we had a few guys who weren't ready for it during my pledge class go through.

If you are willing to share the University, just PM me and I may be able to give more information.