GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,284
2 members and 1,282 guests
amIblue?, luvdovemrh

Old 01-16-2013, 03:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Spring Rushee. LOTS of questions

So I recently transferred to a private university here in So Cal; I've been wanting to be a part of a fraternity ever since I started here, but decided to wait until I could transition into the school.

It's now spring and I think that I definitely would like to rush now; the problem is I have a ton of questions that I need answered, and I honestly don't know where to start.

So a little background on me, you'll find that my situation is a bit extraneous,
  • While I may be a transfer, and technically supposed to be a Junior, my particular major has forced me to transfer in at a first year level within a 5 year degree which means I have 4 and a half years ahead of me before I graduate this school.
    (Unfortunately I have no power over how fast I can graduate since my particular major requires certain classes that must be taken in succession, one after the other, and rarely, if ever, do transfers ever get placed beyond the first year in this particular major)
  • I'm also an Asian minority with no legacy or connections to any fraternities; I don't have any friends within the Greek system (maybe like 1 or 2 acquaintances) but aside from that, I really don't have any direct connections to any houses.
  • I have a decent 3.67 G.P.A. as a transfer, and a sub-par G.P.A. of 3.23 from Fall; fall was a transitional semester for me and I know for sure that I can raise my G.P.A to a much higher average after this Spring now that I feel comfortable being here.

So on to the questions:

1.)Where do I start? Lol.

2.)Do you guys recommend contacting each fraternity official (Either through e-mail, facebook, myspace?, idk?)

I really don't have any preferences over what fraternity I want to join; with that being said, I'm going into this with an open mind with my only concern being that they have to have a house that I could possible live in as a member.

Also, the rushing events are starting next week aside from all the fraternity-specific events, there are also going to be house tours which I am planning to attend alone (none of my friends are interested in rushing which leaves me out on a limb ),

3.)What do I do?
4.)How do I initiate a conversation with the fraternity?
5.)What are some general topics that are brought within conversations?

Anyways that's pretty much it; I apologize for the paragraph essay but I reeeaally really want to rush this semester!

Thanks,

iUSC209 (Screename has nothing to do with my school )
Old 01-16-2013, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I actually appreciate the paragraph style. Easier to read and follow!

GPA requirements vary depending on school and chapter, but you seem to be in good shape on that. Generally, if you are going into recruitment with a college GPA above a 3.0, you can relax. Being an Asian and a non-legacy should not be an issue either. Many people going through recruitment are the first in their families to do so. I also know quite a few Asians who are involved in IFC Greek life. I think you can just put those worries aside and concentrate on finding the house that is the best fit for you.

Majors/course of study is one of those topics that usually comes up naturally during recruitment conversation, so you should have an opportunity to let groups know your situation and that you'll be around for awhile. However, your class status is sophomore, and plenty of guys pledge fraternities as non-freshmen. This, too, does depend on the school, but I know nonfreshmen guys who have received bids even at the competitive SEC schools.

Other topics that come up in recruitment relate to scholarship/study hours/incentives, time commitments, cost, intramural sports, housing opportunities, community involvement, brotherhood activities. What are the issues that are key to you? You mentioned a house -- ask about the requirements for living in the house. It's also fine to ask a brother what made him want to pledge and how he knew his fraternity was right for him. Also, if you fall into a good conversation about a common interest, go with it. Recruitment is about learning about different fraternities as well as discovering where you're most comfortable and feel connected.

Rushing solo is fine. Someone on Greek Chat pointed out the other day that it can actually be a positive. Sometimes if a duo or group sticks together, a fraternity might assume they're a package deal. If they don't like your friend,they may not invite you back either because they think you won't pledge unless your buddy does, too.

Overall, I think you sound like you're going into this in good shape and with the right attitude of being open to learning about all groups. Since you already seem to know that there are fraternity-specific events and house tours, it sounds like recruitment has been publicized around your campus. Did you have to register? If you aren't sure, contact the Greek Life office or website and make sure you have that covered.

As for contacting fraternities ahead of time...that I'm not sure of and hopefully some fraternity men will add to these comments and give their thoughts on that. If there is registration involved, that is usually all the pre-recruitment action you need to take. It's hard to say how making direct contact with individual fraternities might be perceived -- as someone who is sincerely interested or as a try-hard hoping to get an edge. If you've registered, my initial thought is to leave it alone and just head into recruitment with your best foot forward.

All the best to you!
Old 01-18-2013, 03:16 AM
GreekChat Member

GreekDee,

Thanks for the reply I really really appreciate the information; in response to your question about registering, I did have to fill out a form on our school's IFC website if that is what you are talking about. Considering this, should I just show up to the houses I'm interested in during house tours and just introduce myself without contacting the recruiters through e-mail beforehand?
Old 01-18-2013, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

It's hard to say for sure because I don't know what is typical for your campus, and I don't want to advise you incorrectly. If you registered through an on-line system, that should be all you need to do as far as being "ready" to participate and follow whatever schedule events you're provided. You can always contact the Greek Life office and confirm that you're all set as well as ask about what typical protocol is. They should be able to tell you and they are there to assist. Ask them if it's necessary and appropriate to contact rush chairs of those houses you're interested in. If they encourage you to do so, keep your contact info short and to the point -- "Hi, I'm registered for recruitment; looking forward to meeting you guys and learning more about the chapter."

Again, wishing you a great recruitment and hoping you find a great brotherhood!
Old 02-11-2013, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Check out USC TKE, they are by far the top chapter on that campus. As far as getting in just be cool, our moto is "Not for Wealth, Rank, or Honer, but for Personal Worth and Character" so don't sweat not coming in as the best. Show them that your an awesome dude and could contribute alot to the chapter and you should be fine. As for rules on recruitment that varies by campus.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TkeRush View Post
Check out USC TKE, they are by far the top chapter on that campus. As far as getting in just be cool, our moto is "Not for Wealth, Rank, or Honer, but for Personal Worth and Character" so don't sweat not coming in as the best. Show them that your an awesome dude and could contribute alot to the chapter and you should be fine. As for rules on recruitment that varies by campus.
Dude, slow your roll. I understand that you are really proud to be a TKE, but think what you're doing here. First off while I don't believe in tiers, you can't say anything about rankings of a chapter that is on a campus you aren't part of. Second, you are telling a complete stranger he should join TKE, without considering if the chapter would be a fit for him, or if he will be an assets to the fraternity. It makes it look like all you care about is numbers, and that is a damaging reputation for a fraternity to have.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Not to mention that it is considered very bad form on GreekChat to rank chapters or suggest that a chapter is a "top chapter" (or "bottom chapter").
Old 02-13-2013, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

greekdee gave you some great advice! I would not contact the fraternities prior to recruitment; it's not really necessary. By signing up for recruitment through the IFC you should receive all relevant information to recruitment. The recruitment mentality at USC is very structured, so attending recruitment week should suffice to express your interest.

By all means let chapters know at an event if you're interested, but be tactful. For example, something like "I've really enjoyed getting to know you all," or "It's been fun to learn more about your chapter" comes off much better than "I really want to join XYZ!" This is also not a conversation to have at the first recruitment event with any chapter. Essentially you should aim to be interested and friendly, but not overly eager.

I'm not an SC alumnus, but I have worked with our chapter there. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions about recruitment!
Old 02-13-2013, 02:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
TKE would be disappointed you couldn't spell Honor. Just saying

Quote:
Originally Posted by TkeRush View Post
Old 02-13-2013, 03:21 PM

Maybe he was trying to spell Boner and hit the H instead.