GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,187
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,159
2 members and 1,157 guests
Cookiez17

Old 03-21-2012, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmagirl10 View Post
Regarding specifically trying to create a new, non-NPC sorority at USF, I have some advice. I have a friend who tried to do this (start a non-NPC group, not a Christian one). There was plenty of student interest, and while I don't know all of the specifics, the student life and Greek life people were not interested in allowing any new groups and refused to offer them campus recognition. If you decide you want to start a group from scratch or you want to colonize an existing national Christian sorority, I wish you the best of luck but VERY strongly encourage you to do your research before you put in a lot of effort. Find out if you will even be allowed to start a new GLO, and make sure you do everything through the proper channels and in the right order.

If what you are looking for isn't specifically a GLO, but rather an organization of Christian women with whom to have fellowship, sisterhood, and social activities, perhaps you want to look into one of the existing Christian groups on campus or maybe start your own--not a GLO, just a student club. I know that the girls' division of my own campus Real Life is very active and seems almost like a sorority--and our school has a Christian sorority in addition to that. You may find what you are looking for just by reaching out to Christian groups.
I'd like to point out that the possibility of recognition by the college or university -- and any funding with money from the school -- may be affected by the school's policies. This topic is dealt with in a very recent U.S. Supreme Court action that let a lower court's decision stand.

Please take sigmagirl10's advice and check things out thoroughly before putting a lot of time and effort into this.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to CUPrez
Please don't start another Christian sorority. There are plenty. Find one that suits you and do a CHARTER on your campus if possible.

"The Sorority That Puts
GOD First"
A proud member of the United Council of Christian Fraternities and Sororities, Inc.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:51 AM
GreekChat Member

I knew a couple of girls in undergrad who started a Christian sorority (more along the lines of an NPHC org), but CUPrez is right, there are a bunch in existence that would probably be happy to entertain expansion requests.

If you're looking for something more NPC-like than NPHC-like, you might check out these guys (one of said friends was checking out this org before they established the new sorority) http://www.alphadeltachi.org/