GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Gamma Delta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,151
Threads: 115,578
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,307
1 members and 1,306 guests
John

Old 12-22-2012, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Alum Question(s)?

Hi! I am a member of Alpha Gamma Delta, initiated in '06. I only attended the university for one semester, and was forced to return home due to unexpected and devastating family circumstances. However, I absolutely LOVED the short amount of time that I was able to enjoy with AGD. I understand that I am under "Alum" status, at least that's what myAlphaGam tells me. I am 23. I am now married with two beautiful children, and back in school completing my degree. I will be transferring to a university soon with an AGD chapter. Is there a way that I can participate or contribute to Alpha Gam activities? I understand that I probably can't do much with collegiate activities since I am not in active status and from what I understand cannot return to active status after going Alum (I was actually surprised to learn that I am in Alum status, I thought I would simply be inactive since I have not yet graduated...). But I would love to lend a hand and reconnect where I can. Any ideas? Also, what are the requirements for alumni initiation? I don't yet have my degree, do I have to be fully graduated from the university to be initiated as alum and/or at least participate in alumni groups and chapters? Is there anyone I can contact with the questions I have? I feel like my collegiate experience was taken from me, but I am and will always be an Alpha Gam and it's been a dream of mine to be able to offer my own contributions and experience what I missed with the best girls in the world! Thanks for your time
Old 12-22-2012, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Check with your local alumnae chapter for all of these details, but as a member in good standing (presuming you are) you are eligible to be a member of an alumnae association and could volunteer with your local collegiate chapter. There is no such thing as alumni initiation as far as I've ever heard. Some sororities have a "crossing over" ceremony of sorts, celebrating your transition into alumnae status in conjunction with graduation, but I can't imagine it is required to actually function as an alumna.

While the traditional lifespan of a sorority member is 3-4 years as a collegian, graduation, join an alumnae group either right after graduation or (I think more commonly) a couple to several to many years later, and over time taking leadership as an alum, volunteering with collegiate chapters and your sorority headquarters. But that is not the only way to be a lifelong member. Don't let your nontraditional path keep you from taking full advantage of your membership.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlj2316 View Post
Hi! I am a member of Alpha Gamma Delta, initiated in '06. I only attended the university for one semester, and was forced to return home due to unexpected and devastating family circumstances. However, I absolutely LOVED the short amount of time that I was able to enjoy with AGD. I understand that I am under "Alum" status, at least that's what myAlphaGam tells me. I am 23. I am now married with two beautiful children, and back in school completing my degree. I will be transferring to a university soon with an AGD chapter. Is there a way that I can participate or contribute to Alpha Gam activities? I understand that I probably can't do much with collegiate activities since I am not in active status and from what I understand cannot return to active status after going Alum (I was actually surprised to learn that I am in Alum status, I thought I would simply be inactive since I have not yet graduated...). But I would love to lend a hand and reconnect where I can. Any ideas? Also, what are the requirements for alumni initiation? I don't yet have my degree, do I have to be fully graduated from the university to be initiated as alum and/or at least participate in alumni groups and chapters? Is there anyone I can contact with the questions I have? I feel like my collegiate experience was taken from me, but I am and will always be an Alpha Gam and it's been a dream of mine to be able to offer my own contributions and experience what I missed with the best girls in the world! Thanks for your time
If you have been initiated, you need no alumnae initiation! We have many members who graduated out of the chapter before they finished school, so I don't see a problem with you participating in alum events (though the age of the alum chapter might change that [if it is many older women, it just might be more difficult to mesh while you're still in school]). Also, I know that for almost every event in my undergrad chapter, alumnae were allowed to attend they just had to pay whatever the cost would be (because they hadn't paid any dues). If there is a junior circle in your area, I would strongly consider that- it's meant for younger alum like yourself!
Old 12-22-2012, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm a member of our Volunteer Services Team. You can participate in an alumnae chapter or club. There's nothing special you have to do, just find the closest one, contact someone from it to get information and go to a meeting As an alumna member who is in school at a college with a chapter, you might consider advising or at least assisting the chapter with recruitment or philanthropy events! If you PM me with the school you'll be attending, I can find some contact information for you for both alumnae clubs/chapters in the area and advising opportunities!
Old 12-22-2012, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Chapters may have different rules due to risk management issues as to what alumnae may attend (parties etc). Contact the Chapter Advisor. Welcome home!