» Online Users: 1,472
0 members and 1,472 guests
No Members online

Old 09-14-2012, 09:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
It started with No Child Left Behind.

How can they even teach med school without anatomy? As an Occupational Therapist I had gross anatomy with cadaver lab. I can't imagine a doctor not having that.
My thoughts exactly. I'm scared for the future.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 09-14-2012, 09:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda6035 View Post
Oh my goodess. Do you take everything at literal face value? Definition of stupid tax: something I shouldn't have had to pay for if I hadn't done something stupid. The "something stupid" in this case, is taking out stupid loans, rather than working a little more hours, or being a little more responsible with the money I DID have when I was in college. Voluntarily incurred debt - yes.
Thanks for the explanation. Forgive me for being too dim to realize that, rather than calling it a tax that is stupid, you were suggesting that you are paying for your own stupidiy.

Quote:
Some people (like many of you, apparently ) think that debt is the only way to get a "good" education.
Wow. I don't think I've ever met anyone who thinks that debt is the only way to get a good education. I certainly don't -- I didn't incure a dime of debt and got a very good undergraduate and graduate education.

But some people in some circumstances may find it is the best option for them. Here's a thought: you decide what's best for you and your family, and give others the same courtesy.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
But some people in some circumstances may find it is the best option for them. Here's a thought: you decide what's best for you and your family, and give others the same courtesy.
How would someone without a huge trust fund get a J.D. from George Washington (in D.C.) at around $2,000 per credit hour without incurring debt? Is getting a degree from a highly rated law school a stupid tax?

Would someone be stupid for being admitted to a top law school and instead opting for some tier 2 school?

What you spend on your education is an investment in your future. As with other investments, some are good and some are bad. YMMV.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 09-15-2012, 09:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Sure. However, I also feel that I have a responsibility to at least plant the seed in a young person's head that they don't have to listen to what's "normal" by taking out student loans just because they are available. Just because it's an option doesn't mean it's the best option. If there are students reading this, they need to know there are ways to avoid debt, and to avoid those chains once they do get a big boy or big girl job.

Last edited by amanda6035; 09-15-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda6035 View Post
Sure. However, I also feel that I have a responsibility to at least plant the seed in a young person's head that they don't have to listen to what's "normal" by taking out student loans just because they are available. Just because it's an option doesn't mean it's the best option. If there are students reading this, they need to know there are ways to avoid debt, and to avoid those chains once they do get a big boy or big girl job.
Absolutely. The more information people have, the better -- no argument about that. But with all that information, some people may still reasonably decide that for them a student loan is the best option.

Student loans aren't always bad or, well, stupid. They are an option that may be good or may be bad, depending on a variety of factors. Like Kevin says, incurring debt for an education is a form of investment, and some investments are wise and some aren't. That's all I'm saying.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I just got home from the Big Rally. It sounds like the talks are progressing well, but nobody is certain yet if there will be school on Monday. The biggest thing I'm hearing? Both sides are now negotiating in good faith.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

That's good news!