Welcome to our newest member, LynchMob66
» Online Users: 1,484
0 members and 1,484 guests
No Members online

Old 09-27-2011, 09:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartUGA View Post
I'm from Savannah and you can all stop believing all this BS the media is stirring up about Troy Davis because THE MAN IS GUILTY.
I can't get over how hilarious this introduction is. The bolded is my favorite part. Wooooooooo.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
You'd do better to write it yourself. Ann Coulter isn't eloquent nor is she objective by any measure whatsoever; her only goal is to stir the pot and put the spotlight on herself, so I really don't care what she has to say about it. Besides, the quote was way too long. I skimmed it and could easily see that you did exactly what she derided: Making judgments about guilt or innocence without having reviewed the entire record yourself.

If you'd read this thread, you'd see lots of us were not assuming Davis's innocence. Instead, we were wondering whether there was a chance of innocence. Very different things and hardly an unreasonable question to ask before an execution.

Yes, a jury of his peers found him guilty, convicted him and sentenced him to death. As a lawyer, I take that very seriously. But as a lawyer, I also know that juries sometimes make mistakes, either on their own or because the evidence presented to them isn't what it should be. I also know that guilty people often claim innocence. And I also know that those convicted sometimes actually are innocent.

Was Troy Davis guilty? I don't know, because I, like you, haven't heard all the evidence or reviewed all the record. A jury found him to be so and multiple courts let that verdict stand, and I want to trust that and would not lightly disregard it. Now that he has been exceuted, I certainly hope he was indeed guilty.

But conversations about what may be broken about our legal system and how it can be improved so that there can be confidence in outcomes are always a good thing, not the BS that you dismiss it as.
Thank you for this. You saved me a lot of time and said it much better than I could ever have. I also whole heartedly agree with Dr. Phil.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 09-27-2011, 09:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Ann Coulter isn't eloquent nor is she objective by any measure whatsoever; her only goal is to stir the pot and put the spotlight on herself, so I really don't care what she has to say about it.
Are you kidding me? These tweets are the epitome of eloquent!

So awesome, that Ann Coulter. I mean, one day I hope to grow up and be the bigoted shit stirrer that she is.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:55 AM
Banned

Oh geesh, I often avoid hating Ann Coulter because I agree with about 5-10% of the things she says. I also try not to clown her PR's attempts at making her pretty and sexy because (despite how extremely gendered that is since there are plenty of men who do what she does for a living with no pressure to LOOK GOOD) I am not mad at someone for maximizing their looks.

But...is she serious? "Devil's advocates" are the worst. Stop trying so hard to not only always be the only voice for (insert opinion) but to be the loudest and most obnoxious voice. "Oh...you all are mad about Troy Davis well I've got a song about it...wanna hear it, here it goes!!!!! But don't do that for anything that I personally feel strongly about because then I'll label you a bigoted idiot who isn't smart enough to express your opinions in an intelligent manner."

/end rant
Old 09-27-2011, 11:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Oh geesh, I often avoid hating Ann Coulter because I agree with about 5-10% of the things she says.
Well, even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Well, even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Yep and I consider all of those people and media outlets to be broken clocks that should be combined and taken seriously twice a day.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Yep and I consider all of those people and media outlets to be broken clocks that should be combined and taken seriously twice a day.
Absolutely.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Back up. I thought one of the arguments for Troy Davis was that an "expert" appeared at his sentencing hearing and made statements to the effect that black men are more likely to kill again than white men. Did Coulter just ignore that entirely?

Or am I out of my mind/confusing this with another case.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Back up. I thought one of the arguments for Troy Davis was that an "expert" appeared at his sentencing hearing and made statements to the effect that black men are more likely to kill again than white men. Did Coulter just ignore that entirely?

Or am I out of my mind/confusing this with another case.
you're thinking of Duane Buck, the death row inmate in Texas, where the supreme court stayed his execution. Troy Davis' guilt was in question, whereas Buck's conviction has been wholly uncontested.

Buck's sentencing was influenced by the psychologist's testimony. when asked whether the fact that Buck was black made him more likely to commit another violent act, he answered in the affirmative. a jury that might have leaned towards life in prison, opted instead for the death penalty based on race.

Last edited by FHwku; 10-04-2011 at 05:51 PM. Reason: http://friendsofjustice.wordpress.com/2011/09/16/texas-execution-put-on-hold-by-supreme-court/
Old 12-03-2011, 11:58 AM
Banned

Troy Davis' 44 year old sister lost her battle with cancer on Thursday. Rest in peace. She spent half of her life fighting for her brother's innocence.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Still no peace 6 months later

Six months after the spectacle of the Davis execution, MacPhail is still haunted by loss. And she is still hounded by those who blame her family for putting to death a man whose guilt was widely questioned.

"You have blood on your hands," Davis' supporters tell her through phone calls and letters. He'd become a poster child for anti-death penalty activists. MacPhail knows worse has been said about her on the Internet.

"This old b---h doesn't know what going on," said one comment posted on YouTube. "I hope you're happy 'cause your son's killer is still free. Justice wasn't served."

MacPhail says she is thankful for her online illiteracy, that she doesn't even own a computer. But after all this time, she still seethes that Davis is perceived as the one who was wronged.

"It bothers me. I am the victim here," she says. "I lost my son. My grandchildren don't have any memories of their father.

"I don't have the peace yet that I was hoping for."
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”