Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, BillWitt27
» Online Users: 1,075
3 members and 1,072 guests
JerricaB, John, QueenD

Old 03-23-2012, 10:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Anyone in Miami?

Because the fates like to screw with my husband and me, he got a call kind of out of the blue the other day and has an interview with a hospital in Miami. This is a complete left turn from our plan of Southern California and he's not excited about it at all, although the job itself would be great and I think working for this company would be really beneficial in the long term.

My experience with living/working in South Florida is not the happiest, but I figured Miami would be closer to the lifestyle we're used to living lately than many other places in the states. His experience with Florida is working for a semester at Disney and leaving from there on a couple cruises. So basically none.

There are some positives about South Florida I already know - professional baseball, good weather (that's good in my book), easy access to a lot of places, multi-cultural environment. But how is it to live there? I know crime is going to be way higher than we're used to (being that there is all but zero where we currently live) and English is not as widely spoken as here, but what are some things he can get excited about? My only huge concern is living somewhere that doesn't have snow. And having access to an alumnae chapter is good. And having a collegiate chapter nearby would be nice, but obviously we won't pick our next home based on that. And I did decide some time ago that I'd never live in a city without professional baseball. It may seem random but I think it sets a size standard, under which it's just too small.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Which hospital in Miami? My father works for Baptist Health, and he loves that organization. He's been working there for 18 years now. They take care of their employees, and are an exceptional health care organization. Most of the hospitals in the area have some seriously amazing specialty centers, and incredible benefits for employees and families.

I grew up in Miami, and it's really not bad! It's got an interesting reputation. I miss it sometimes - granted, I'm glad I'm somewhere else now because it's a good fit, but it's an experience that made me who I am. Depending on the area you live in, you will not feel like you are living in the northernmost city of South America. I was raised in South Miami, in a predominately Jewish part of the city, and I did not speak Spanish fluently until college as a result. You can exist without speaking Spanish fluently! Pinecrest, Coral Gables, Aventura and North Miami Beach are areas that have a great balance of diversity, good neighborhood living and easy access to the busier parts of Miami. Do not count out Broward County, either! Within 30 minutes of downtown Miami depending on where you live.

I know you are in Dubai now, so I don't need to talk about expensive standards of living. It's pricey, particularly for housing. Expect lots of traffic and tolls depending on how far away you live from your area of employment. But the new ballpark is stunning, and they are trying to really build a fanbase for the Miami Marlins. Lots to look forward to on the sports front with the exception of the Dolphins...they're a disaster. Lots of cultural attractions as well! I especially miss the Adrienne Arscht Center for the Arts, the hustle and bustle, and the energy of the city. It's a fun, exciting place! I especially miss the weather - I live in Buffalo, N.Y., and would do almost anything to be able to go to the beach as often as I used to.

As for the Alpha Xi Delta chapter at FIU, I will speak from the heart here. They are a great group of women with a strong reputation in the area. From what I have heard, they have needed a little love lately regarding additional support, and would benefit from the perspective of an alumna not originally from Miami. I know some exceptional women from the Theta Xi chapter who are fun and dynamic to work with. Their Alumnae Association is very young as well.

I hope this is helpful! JMO here, so other Miami folk can feel free to give their perspective too.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I've lived in Miami almost 5 years now and I'll be honest with you, it took me awhile to like it. I would say the most crucial part (and this is true with any new city you move to), once you find your group of friends that you click with, life is all good.

PROS: No matter what day/what time, there is ALWAYS something to do. Whether it's the beach, a party, some event, the hotels/restaurants in Miami are always going on. Some top examples are world famous Art Basel, Miami Music Week (happening now), etc. The weather is great. It's just awesome in general to be driving down the street in January with your top down and there's palm trees Just gorgeous scenery in general. Life is pretty chic if you go to the right places. Brag to your up north friends. It's a very social community. I rarely see people alone. Some people are very friendly and like to make new friends, others are reluctant to branch out.

CONS: If you're from NY, the pizza/chinese food situation is going to suck. Get ready for the most fake people (if they even speak English) you have ever met. Everyone is all about flashing their money and how they can get ahead, themselves. Trust people carefully. No one can drive, the DMV will be one of the worst experiences of your entire life. Parking? Good luck.

Sorry if this is super general and sounds as if it was written by a 20 year old, because to be honest, most of my life in Miami has been in the college/social scene. I just recently moved to an area of town that is more work-oriented, I feel and I love the vibe. It is more hustle, people are more driven and I just feel like I fit in better. Once you find you're niche, you're good. Hope this helped. PM if you have any questions.

EDIT: I volunteer at Jackson sometimes and it is great. Definitely check out the health district, I guess you would call it. Also, I went to University of Miami, and a lot of the hospitals and health centers are associated with the school; definitely a lot of great options with that.

Last edited by Splash; 03-23-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash View Post
CONS: If you're from NY, the pizza/chinese food situation is going to suck. Get ready for the most fake people (if they even speak English) you have ever met. Everyone is all about flashing their money and how they can get ahead, themselves. Trust people carefully. No one can drive, the DMV will be one of the worst experiences of your entire life. Parking? Good luck.
This just made me laugh. Clearly you don't know much about Dubai. Dubai might possibly make Hollywood look authentic and down to earth. I on the other hand have no problem carrying my crazy knock-offs and freely admitting it. And food! Let's not even get into about food. At least they're allowed to serve pork on pizza in Miami! Your cons are in line with what I was thinking would make life easier in Miami. We typically describe Dubai as a cross between Miami and Las Vegas and you seem to be describing it similarly.

Thanks for the input. Your cons actually make it easier for me to deal with it all. If that's the worst you can dish out, it shouldn't be too tough.