Welcome to our newest member, ibtisamkhan
» Online Users: 805
0 members and 805 guests
No Members online

Old 08-10-2011, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SigmaChiCard
Weekend Jobs in NYC

Hi guys, despite being a lawyer registered to practice in KY, NY and before the Patent Office, and even HAVING A JOB in New York, I am grossly underpaid (let's just say I make about half of what baseline personal assistant's usually make) and looking a weekend job in New York and would REALLY appreciate any suggestions.

Visit: BackSeat SandBar & MySpace
Old 08-10-2011, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm employed with a company right now (Mosaic Sales Solutions) that does a lot of field marketing work (actually, I'm *technically* employed there, but I haven't done any projects in years, so I'm not an active employee). I know that they frequently post part time and weekend work, especially in large metros. Check them out if you'd like.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigmaChiCard View Post
Hi guys, despite being a lawyer registered to practice in KY, NY and before the Patent Office, and even HAVING A JOB in New York, I am grossly underpaid (let's just say I make about half of what baseline personal assistant's usually make) and looking a weekend job in New York and would REALLY appreciate any suggestions.
One word of warning, which you've probably already considered - be careful about getting second jobs if you're working as an attorney. I know many firms and in-house legal departments have pretty strict guidelines on second jobs, as they don't want their lawyers conflicted out of cases because of those jobs.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SigmaChiCard
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSigkid View Post
One word of warning, which you've probably already considered - be careful about getting second jobs if you're working as an attorney. I know many firms and in-house legal departments have pretty strict guidelines on second jobs, as they don't want their lawyers conflicted out of cases because of those jobs.
that's a very good point, but i have no problem doing this as i am paid only $xxk per year after nearly 3 years and treated like shit. i have become incredibly depressed and need to quit but cannot afford to do so.

Visit: BackSeat SandBar & MySpace

Last edited by SigmaChiCard; 06-07-2012 at 06:33 PM. Reason: removed salary
Old 10-29-2011, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LikeASista
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigmaChiCard View Post
that's a very good point, but i have no problem doing this as i am paid only $34k per year after nearly 3 years and treated like shit. i have become incredibly depressed and need to quit but cannot afford to do so.
Whoa, ... only $34K a year in New York of all places?

I have a friend who is also an attorney, who lives in Houston, Texas. She works for a big law firm out there, and constantly complains that she is taken for granted in the position she's in. The way she explained it is that she is expected to do all the leg work (i.e., research, building files, etc. which she compares to clerical work) until it's time to go to trial. That's when one of the partners takes over, turns all of her work into a "case", and gets to shine in the limelight of the courtroom.

The difference, however, is that she makes a six-figure salary in her position despite her lack of fulfillment, so I don't see her leaving anytime soon. Have you thought about relocating?
#1 - Spring 2000

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." - Mother Teresa
Old 11-20-2011, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Check out The Five O'Clock Club. They are a career help company (I'm not affiliated with them and right now I'm not a member of their services either.) They just have a really professional approach to helping people. There's a lot of free information on their website including newsletters, resume help, and so on, and they offer meetups in NYC to talk about careers. It sounds like you need a new job -- not a second job. If I were you I would try putting my focus and effort into that.

The link is http://www.fiveoclockclub.com/about/

And since its the Christmas season, have you thought about retail on the weekends? Its not glamorous, but it can help pay the bills and its entirely different than the work you do during the week. Every time I've picked up a retail position, its been fun and I've worked with good people.

$34K is really low for New York. Its hard to make it on that even here in the midwest where housing is inexpensive.

Best of luck!