GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,662
3 members and 1,659 guests
Cookiez17, naraht, UW_dawg

Old 05-25-2011, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Study Hours

Heyy! I'm trying to help our Education Director organize things. I was wondering if anyone knows of a website on which the Education Director could easily track our members' study hours. A website in which someone could have a computer at study hours and the members could "log in" when they get there and "log out" when they leave. And this would all track the total hours of each member. Pleaseeeee tell me that someone knows of some sort of website! Let me know as soon as possible! I'm trying to get things up and running before next semester starts up!
Old 05-26-2011, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Um, what's wrong with a good old fashioned sign in sheet?
Old 05-26-2011, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

You could maybe make a Google Doc or something? I don't know of any other website type options.

When we did study hours, we kept a binder in the library where all the other Greek orgs with study hours kept theirs. Sign in and sign out when you leave.

There are always going to be people who try to cheat/fudge their hours, but having a computerized system won't change that.

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

it sounds a lot like the kind of system lawyers have to record their billable time against matters - I have not heard of any such system being available for free.

Also, what happens when a student is studying, but not using a computer? Say, doing the old fashioned thing of researching stuff in books?

Also, would this track what the student was doing on the computer? 12hrs of Facebook would be a pretty good way to get my "study" hours up
Old 05-26-2011, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
Um, what's wrong with a good old fashioned sign in sheet?
The way we do study hours is just a little stressful for the Education Director to keep track of because sometimes she doesn't receive the sign-in sheets from some of the proctors.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
You could maybe make a Google Doc or something? I don't know of any other website type options.

When we did study hours, we kept a binder in the library where all the other Greek orgs with study hours kept theirs. Sign in and sign out when you leave.

There are always going to be people who try to cheat/fudge their hours, but having a computerized system won't change that.
Thanks for the answer! We don't have a system where we keep binders at the library.. that would be nice though.

I'm not really worried about people cheating or fudging their hours. I'm just trying to find a way to guarantee that the Education Director will receive all of the sign-ins and that the hours will be easily totaled. If that makes sense. haha
Old 05-26-2011, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElieM View Post
it sounds a lot like the kind of system lawyers have to record their billable time against matters - I have not heard of any such system being available for free.

Also, what happens when a student is studying, but not using a computer? Say, doing the old fashioned thing of researching stuff in books?

Also, would this track what the student was doing on the computer? 12hrs of Facebook would be a pretty good way to get my "study" hours up
Yeah I was afraid of that whole having to pay thing. haha

The students would all log in on one computer. They would not need to be on their computer during study hours. I'm not looking for something that tracks what they do on the computers while they are there.. just looking for a way to track what days they are there and for how long.

Thank you though!
Old 05-26-2011, 09:44 PM
GreekChat Member

perhaps you could use something like chapterboard.com. i know you can track service hours there, perhaps a similar system has a way to track study hours.

I imagine it's a pain for the VP-Academic to go through log in books and count up all the hours.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

or something like this?
http://4sysops.com/archives/work-tim...tracking-tool/

have you tried googling "free online time recorder"?
Old 06-11-2011, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I know with my chapter the education chair collects our study hours at each meeting and then puts them onto excel and that's how she keeps track of whether people are doing their study hours or not.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittanyhorwath View Post
I know with my chapter the education chair collects our study hours at each meeting and then puts them onto excel and that's how she keeps track of whether people are doing their study hours or not.
This is how we did it as well; we kept track of proctored and unproctored hours that way. One concern with electronic systems is that it's easier to let things slide. With the forms, having to turn them in at meetings was a good reminder to actually fill them out. Is there someone in the chapter who could help with inputting the information in order to lessen the education director's load?