GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,146
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,129
2 members and 1,127 guests
LaneSig

Old 02-24-2011, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Annoyance:

People who say "Other than you, Becky, John, and Sue, I won't know anyone there so I don't know if I am coming."

BITCH you will know four people WTF do you want from me?
Old 02-24-2011, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Annoyance:

People who say "Other than you, Becky, John, and Sue, I won't know anyone there so I don't know if I am coming."

+1

Add to that "I'll come, but I don't know if I'll come to the business meetings. Where's the party?"

*also annoyed with conference planning*

Old 02-24-2011, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

My related pet peeve is people who worry about their +1 not being able to meet anyone or socialize. I find it troubling that any adult can't maintain an evening of polite conversation - even if it's not their absolute favorite thing to do.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Annoyance:

This right here annoys me.

Especially with alumnae and events like Homecoming, Founder's Day, etc.

My most fave is "I don't want to come, no one from my pledge class is coming. I'll feel way awkward."

You have been out of college for like 5 years. The presence of "your group" shouldn't determine whether you're going to come out and support your chapter.

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Leather Padfolios

Senusret I,
Since we discussed it in another thread, maybe it would be a good idea. What about giving everyone (or selling) leather padfolios with your crest embossed in them so, it doesn't look too juvenile. It's Greek without throwing it in the face of others. It could look professional for all of the young professionals in your organization, as well as, be useful to your Chapter Presidents (if they attend convention-I know for my GLO they do).

I feel like you couldn't go wrong with something semi-professional.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ We're doing the bags mentioned on page one. I think the padfolios would have been cute, but I didn't have the support for fundraising early enough that I should have had to make it happen. Thanks though.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
^^^ We're doing the bags mentioned on page one. I think the padfolios would have been cute, but I didn't have the support for fundraising early enough that I should have had to make it happen. Thanks though.
Yeah, I hope that sometime you get a chance to have those made (even just to sell at your GLO events). I asked the sister in charge of our "Carnation Collection" if they had any more and she said, "Sorry, we didn't sell a lot of them. We don't make them any longer." I thought, "Ummmm...I bet a lot of ALUMNAE would like that, though." Please post a finished product of the bags you get made. I'd love to see them!
Old 03-20-2011, 03:17 AM
GreekChat Member

It's over. Bags went over well. Souvenir journals themselves were a hit. I can rest. Amen.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Glad it went well, swag is always hard to pick. Post some pictures of what you ended up with.

One thing I always liked, especially with tech conventions is (at registration) getting a badge holder/lanyard that also has a pocket in back with a small foldout summary of all the conferences and the rooms they are in. Plus a map of the hotel/convention center. Usually they have a slot for a pen, too; handy if you have a shirt without a pocket.

If you give away shirts (I know, hard to match sizes) pocket Tee shirts are handy, as are pocketed polo shirts. I realize these can be expensive.

> anyone with special event experience could recommend the best way to sell tickets online... EventBrite looks like the best contender

I've had good luck with Eventbrite. I think most of these sites only charge the credit card fees (around 3 percent) WePay charges a little more; but none of these are outrageous like Ticketmaster.

Three things you always want to do:

1. Since you have everyone's e-mail (which you send to the invite company), also send everyone a text-only summary with the date, time, location and contact number (someone who will be there at the start of the event). Put this info in your house/alum chapter website, too.
2. Have a "sweet sixteen". Have sixteen different alumni test the software, each with a different computer (PC, Mac, Linux), browser, phone, etc. Try to make it universal (no .DOC files, use .PDF, etc.) Avoid flash, or have a no-flash option. Corporate computers don't like flash. Alert your sixteen techie alums, and call back in a few days to make sure your site/invite works.
3. Even with all that, many corporate computers, AOL, hotmail, yahoo mail, ... don't handle evite, eventbrite, wepay, etc. That's because every little box you see on the screen, plus all the ones you don't see have "handles". A corporate computer will pass only so many handles. Plus, the corporate software the nukes the objectionable ad also eats another handle.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:40 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^ Good advice!