Members: 326,186
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,664
1 members and 1,663 guests
No Members online

Old 03-23-2005, 12:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Is that something you specifically read in the laws of the Fraternity? To my knowledge, lavaliers are not an approved location for the Greek letters.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to MikeBFiji
Nevermind, I must have misread that part during pledgeship. I thought it said right after the 7 places something to the extent of the official jewelery approved by the fraternity. But anyway, what OleMissGlitter is probably speaking of is found at the follwing link: http://www.mastersofdesign.com/Multi...T=1&CL=29&C=53 . It's the officialy sweetheart pendant, pin, and charm.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the link, Mike- nice "sweetheart" badge. But this brings up a question- if jeweled badges are prohibited, and the badge is never supposed to be worn as ornamental jewelry, why does MOD make a "sweetheart" pin? As MOD is the official jeweler, this appears to be sanctioned by IHQ. Have the rules changes since I was an undergrad?
Old 04-21-2005, 01:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BSUFiji08
Quote:
Originally posted by mcellpe
Thanks for the link, Mike- nice "sweetheart" badge. But this brings up a question- if jeweled badges are prohibited, and the badge is never supposed to be worn as ornamental jewelry, why does MOD make a "sweetheart" pin? As MOD is the official jeweler, this appears to be sanctioned by IHQ. Have the rules changes since I was an undergrad?
Hello

Jamie, Beta Sigma Chapter, first time poster....im a fijiholoic....

NEWAY, thast not a jeweled BADGE, per se, its a jeweled sweeheart pendant. A replica, but unofficial, if you will.

The official Badge can never be worn as ordamentation.

Does that make sense?
Old 10-11-2005, 01:35 AM
GreekChat Member

The 7 places that are acceptable for the Greek letters of Phi Gamma Delta to be seen are

1. Chapter House Marker
2. Official Badge
3. Fraternity Ring
4. Certificate of Membership
5. Flag
6. Seal
7. Memorial to Members

Now, as regards to the tattoo on the ankle. Back in the days of the Civil War, it was tradition for soldiers to get the tattoo in rememberance of their fallen brothers in the war. Therefore, the tattoo is technically classified under a "Memorial to Members" which is why it is allowed.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EZMac3434
Now, as regards to the tattoo on the ankle. Back in the days of the Civil War, it was tradition for soldiers to get the tattoo in rememberance of their fallen brothers in the war. Therefore, the tattoo is technically classified under a "Memorial to Members" which is why it is allowed.
That's a new one. Interesting theory, but I am not sure that IHQ or the laws of the fraternity would support that position. See Towner's post on the subject earlier in this thread for more info on what the fraternity's official position is. (Since he is a national officer in the organization, I would tend to accept his position as official).

Now as for place #3 on your list (Fraternity Ring), I thought this was an approved location, but Towner's post does not support this either. Sure enough, if you consult your PP, you will find that a class (or fraternity) ring is not listed among the approved places.

Cheers,

mcellpe
Old 10-26-2005, 12:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Check the new PP. "Official College Ring" is listed as the 7th place
Old 11-16-2005, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to irvinefiji
Smile

I have been cabinet officer, pledge ed, recruitment chair of my chapter, and know the fraternity history, by laws and ritual very well. With all this combined knowledge, here are some answers to previous posts:

The fraternity letters can only be put in the following places:

1. Chapter House Marker
2. Official Badge
3. Fraternity Ring
4. Certificate of Membership
5. Flag
6. Seal
7. Memorial to Members

However, it is also stated that the fraternity letters can be put in "the official publications of the fraternity." This means that any illustration, picture or piece of jewelry "officially published" or sanctioned by headquarters can bare the greek letters Phi Gamma Delta.

This explains why the official jewler has lavaliers and "Sweetheart pendants" with the greek letters. This also explains why steel engravings, pictures, glass panes, etc. (some of which can be found on ebay) also have the fraternity letters.

My chapter house has a 2 X 4 foot glass pane that has the Phi Gamma Delta letters (the glass pane is not bound to the house; rather, it is a seperate object that can be picked up, moved around, and be placed anywhere for decoration within the house). This was not something created by an individual (as it looks too good for the working of any college student). It is an old artificat created a long time ago (no actual date known), presumably with permission from headquarters.

-Owais Ahmed
Iota Chi '05
Old 08-07-2006, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to HotSEXJ
Tattoos are common, but not officially allowed.

It's becoming a common practice in our chapter to get a Black Diamond + Star tattoo - which looks great and is a cool alternative to the letters.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMac3434 View Post
I had heard it was a more modern war (Vietnam if I remember correctly.) but the story was almost identical for the reasoning behind ankle tattoos.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Total lane swerve, but can anyone tell me why FIJI doesn't allow letters to be worn like most GLOs? I don't know any FIJIs (they aren't on my campus) and I've always wondered!