GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,470
0 members and 1,470 guests
No Members online

Old 02-11-2011, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
==========================================

A: Hi.
B: I'm looking to save on insurance. Don't want to deal with a lot of flippity flab or mambojambo.
A: Sounds like you need to name your price
B: No gobbidygook.
A: Never.
B: Do I still get all the dagnabit coverage i need?
A: Sure, we give you a quote and you can adjust your price up and down to find something that works for you.
B: This thing is okeymcsmokeyskiddlydo!
A: Great! I think!?
B: Biggidity
A: Oh...still not sure.
===========================================

Uh, right. Doggone how I hate those commercials. But then again, I'm not a big fan of commercials in general.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I have to agree that GC has changed over the years.

I don't remember 'back in the day' people being so high and mighty and nasty with some of their responses.....BUT.....I also don't remember people, mostly PNMs, demanding information about recruitment and heli-moms and dads. I think GC may have become "nastier" because people come on here DEMANDING answers to ALL of their questions and then get mad when we can't, or won't for privacy sake, answer them.

There are some old-timers that I do miss like OTW. I have to admit that I hated the way she said stuff 89.3427% of the time, but when you cut through her potty-mouth response she was dead on correct.

I also miss the activity in the D9 forums. The D9 forums were HOTwhen I first joined, then traffic slowed down to a trickle, and now on some forums all activity has seemed to stop. There are a lot of old skool D9 GC members I miss.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekeguy View Post

Uh, right. Doggone how I hate those commercials. But then again, I'm not a big fan of commercials in general.

Ha. And I hate malt yet malt isn't really your point and that commercial isn't really mine.

Since this thread became "one of those threads" pages ago:
What one person defines as "calling it like I see it/stating my opinion" is what someone else sees as "rude/uncalled for." You wanted to call those usernames (who shall not be named for whatever reasons) childish meanies and that's your business. Everyone voices opinions and makes judgments on GC. GCers needed to get over that circa 2001 and need to get over that now.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Blah blah blah blah stuff
I'm glad you're not locked out of your account.

Tee hee.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Ha. And I hate malt yet malt isn't really your point and that commercial isn't really mine.

Since this thread became "one of those threads" pages ago:
What one person defines as "calling it like I see it/stating my opinion" is what someone else sees as "rude/uncalled for." You wanted to call those usernames (who shall not be named for whatever reasons) childish meanies and that's your business. Everyone voices opinions and makes judgments on GC. GCers needed to get over that circa 2001 and need to get over that now.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
I'm glad you're not locked out of your account.

Tee hee.
Uh....
Old 02-11-2011, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmadiva View Post
I have to agree that GC has changed over the years.

I don't remember 'back in the day' people being so high and mighty and nasty with some of their responses.....BUT.....I also don't remember people, mostly PNMs, demanding information about recruitment and heli-moms and dads. I think GC may have become "nastier" because people come on here DEMANDING answers to ALL of their questions and then get mad when we can't, or won't for privacy sake, answer them.
Oh, this makes sense. I also think that we get irritated with people asking things that have been answered a thousand times in the last decade. Like, in 2001, if someone asked if you need recs at UT, we'd be like "Yeah, you do", but then somewhere along the line we created a giant stickied thread that lists schools where you need recs, so now if someone comes on and asks that, it's like "SEARCH FUNCTION!!!"
Old 02-11-2011, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Uh....
Nevermind - I made a joke upthread about whether or not you were locked out of your account (since you hadn't been around a lot lately).
Old 02-11-2011, 06:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmadiva View Post
I think GC may have become "nastier" because people come on here DEMANDING answers to ALL of their questions and then get mad when we can't, or won't for privacy sake, answer them.
This is a really great point. The internet used to be somewhere you went to chat and maybe get some information. Almost more of a journey or experience, as corny as that sounds. Now it's a place to getinformationrightthissecond and chat later. Goes along with the instant gratification we've grown accustomed to. I mean, do you remember call waiting? Or real tape player answering machines? Or real tape players, for that matter, that you had to turn over in the middle of a song and ff/rewind for several seconds before finding just the right place?

And I'm only in my late 20s... many of the 18 year olds now grew up with so much more that is "instant". And I'm sure those in their 30s, 40s, and beyond would say the same about my generation (it is really annoying sometimes to have pseudo ADD where I feel like I have to multi-task in order to accomplish something, yet I can't turn it off!).

But... I guess let's /tangent on that one Just a good point that user expecations for forums, social interaction (online and IRL), and access to information has changed drastically.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:54 PM

sigmadiva completely hit the nail on the head.

The fwap fwaps simply weren't around until maybe 3-4 years ago and PNMs pretty much all asked for help in a way that was very respectful. Nowadays, unfortunately, it's become more the exception than the norm. Don't get me started on "I read all those threads and didn't find what I wanted." Ummm no you didn't.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
sigmadiva completely hit the nail on the head.

The fwap fwaps simply weren't around until maybe 3-4 years ago and PNMs pretty much all asked for help in a way that was very respectful. Nowadays, unfortunately, it's become more the exception than the norm. Don't get me started on "I read all those threads and didn't find what I wanted." Ummm no you didn't.
My fave is "I read everything but my situation is a bit different, *insert situation that is the SAME as all other situations in other threads about that school*"

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to banditone
Hi, long time listener. First time caller.