GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,172
Threads: 115,577
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,456
4 members and 1,452 guests
JayhawkAOII, John, Phrozen Sands

Old 12-22-2010, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamboozled View Post
This has been a busy summer for me, but I did manage to read four books and I enjoyed them all. Two of them were part of Oprah's now defunct bookclub. My favorite bookstore offers an additional 20% off of books she selects, so I end up reading quite a few of them.

1. White Oleander by Janet Fitch - Good book until the end. It starts to drag about 3/4 through, but it redeems itself with a mediocre ending.

2. She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb - Aboslutely loved this book. I don't think there's anybody out there that can't relate to the main character, Dolores. I'd recommend it.

3. Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood (author's name escapes me right now) - Decent book, but not something to run out and buy. It held my attention, but it did leave something to be desired. I heard the book was better than the movie, if that tells you anything. However, it does give you a warm and tingly feeling at times.

4. I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb - Another good book. Lots of good commentary on relationships between siblings, parents and God. It's pretty long, but worth the read.

I was comtemplating buying this book, but was hesitant. Please let us know how it is.
I know this is an old post, but Wally Lamb is that deal. I just re-read I Know This Much is True. 900+ pages but work it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by medusa77 View Post
My daughter brought home "The Skin I'm In" a book by Sharon G. Flake. It's a beautiful book about identity, friendships, relationships, and belonging. I remember what it's like to be a twelve-year-old girl. I wish one of my seventh grade teachers would've had me read this book, then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeASista View Post
Anyone else interested in funny essay writings? There is a book entitled Me Talk Pretty One Day, and if you ever want to laugh your a$$ off, you need to read this book ... or anything else written by David Sedaris.

I have never laughed so hard at a book before in my life. I picked it up in a local bookstore one year only because the cover was of a green chalkboard with the title written in ... well, ... chalk. Being an educator, that would certainly capture my attention. I opened it to any page in the book and began reading, ... I was laughing from reading only one paragraph. I decided to read the entire book, and I think I finished it within only two or three days. It is literally hysterical. Even the cafe workers walked over to me and demanded to know what was I laughing so hard about. Check it out if you need a good laugh.
Both David and Amy Sedaris are hilarious. Amy's a little more crass, but definitely entertaining.

I'm just finished reading Room by Emma Donaghue for my book club. Great read. Any suggestions for our next read?
Old 12-22-2010, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

A Thousand Splendid Sun - Khaled Hosseini

ETA: Oops I didn't realize this was in the AKA forum! Sorry!!