GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,160
Threads: 115,585
Welcome to our newest member, rubbybuble
» Online Users: 1,171
3 members and 1,168 guests
Cookiez17, naraht

Old 05-15-2010, 01:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Though I have no family members in greek organizations, growing up I had many teachers who were a part of various BGLO's but Delta Sigma Theta has always stood out for me because of its Five Point Thrust, touching generally every important aspect of life (I did not see that in the other organizations). Also as I researched the many different programs founded by DST, some having to do with health, some having to do with maintaining financial stability, and what stood out the most to me was EMBODI. They even have a program to help young males. For me this is when I started realizing DST was the organization for me, making a difference in every way.
When I got to college this feeling was affirmed when I saw that DST was the sorority most active on campus, they were everywhere and I loved that. Also the women I have met that are in the sorority all seem like nice women. So for all of these reasons are why I choose Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:22 AM
GreekChat Member

And also to answer why I feel DST would be attracted to me is because I believe I am all about what they stand for and one of those main things is SERVICE. I do community service because I enjoy it, knowing that I'm helping. I feel community service should not just be chore but should in the hearts of each of us because if we don't help our community, no one else will. What I can offer DST? MY devotion and dedication to its cause and furthering its purpose. Also the various skills/characteristics I possess and have attained from taking part in other clubs/organizations and from working with various groups of people.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Why DST?
Simply put, the sisterhood, scholarship, and service are all very attractive to me. I don't have any sisters and I have always longed for one/some to share with. I always put forth my best efforts academically, after all, that's why I am in school. And, I volunteer all of the time. It gives me a sense of fulfillment to serve my community.

What can I offer?
I'm very passionate and driven about the tasks I take on, no matter the size. I have strong personal skills that allow me to cope with just about any situation and prevail. I have gained skills through various experiences throughout my life that allow me to succeed at any task. Finally, my goal in life to help others. I am completely dedicated to helping my community.

For these reasons and more, I believe DST is for me and I am for DST.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated stands out to me mainly because of it's rich history and the influential members that have made positive impacts on my life.
I will be honest, I have not researched Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Incorporated nor Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated in great depth, or, atleast not in the way that I have researched Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated and Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated. I think of the latter two as trailblazers, which brings me to why DST's history stands out to me.
The fact that twenty-two women were bold enough to speak up and step out of an organization that they did not feel in their hearts and were determined to create an organization that focused on their goals and the change that they wanted to see in their communities shows that from the start, the members of DST were about their business. They can honestly say that they were founded with the intention of being active in their communities and promoting change in America, as evidenced by their first big display of activism, which was their participation in the Women's Suffrage March in 1913 (just two months after their founding), where they were subjected to racism from all directions.
I have had many Delta's as teachers, mentors, family friends, etc, but one in particular really stands out to me. My dance teacher, who opened one of the first predominately African American dance studios in Atlanta, Georgia, is a financially active member of DST. She is so influential to me because of the impact that she makes on her students and her community through dance instruction. She has opened the doors to so many of my peers to experience things that we may have never had the chance to experience. From a first hand point of view, I was given a scholarship to travel to Los Angeles, California to study with some of the best of the best this past summer along with traveling all over the U.S. throughout my 15 years of dancing at her studio. Some others have gone on to dance professionally with Dallas Black Dance Theatre, Alvin Ailey, Julliiard etc. She is a very dedicated, hard-working woman and posses all of the qualities that I think of when I think Delta.
I know I should not base my decision/interest off of one woman but I was only trying to give an example of one influential Delta in my life.
On a personal level, I feel that Delta is in my heart. I am most interested in the Community Service. I love that the five point thrust is so well rounded. As a college educated woman, it is my duty to give back to those who may not have the same privelleges that I have and to teach and encourage them to do things that could not only help themselves but their community aswell (i.e. registering to vote and actually voting).
Delta would also be a home away from home for me, as I am an out of state undergraduate student. I would, obviously, gain a number of sisters/sorors that I know that I can always call on and be there to support them as well.

I could ramble on forever.... haha

*prays for In Search of Sisterhood to hurry up and get here*
Old 12-21-2010, 03:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Growing up I used to see the different women in leadership positions in my church and community and for the most part they were all members of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated. I remember these women being the most approachable, enthusiastic, direct, diligent, and well-rounded women always naturally running things. I always sat in amazement as these women took the floor, delegated responsibilities, and worked until the job was completed. I knew back then it was definitely something that separated Delta women from the women of different organizations. And then the fact that my father, a both very proud member of Kappa Alpha Psi and a Mason, seemed to speak of the Delta women he knew with so much admiration and respect only added esteem to my already growing deference for the women of Delta Sigma Theta.
As I got older I remember seeing step shows and hearing chants from the different Delta activities I attended. I loved their confident attitudes and sassy wit. And I loved the fact that the women were so diverse in nature. There were young women from every hue and every different crowd who were a part of the organization. I remember hearing that they didn’t need a mirror to tell them they looked good; and being an unconventional (yet very confident) beauty myself I understood exactly what they meant. I loved hearing that they were not only about their beauty, stepping, but they were also about their academics. They sounded like such well-rounded women… exactly what I longed to be.
It wasn’t until I reached college that I realized exactly why my decision to seek membership from Delta was solidified. My father, knowing I want to become a Delta woman so bad, asked me “Why Delta?” And as I began to give him my superficial answer, I realized the women I admired so much were only a small aspect of it all. The reason I want to be a part of Delta Sigma Theta is much bigger than the women I admire. I want to be a Delta because of the values the organization stands for, the vision it has, and the legacy it continues to develop. I’ve also stood by the motto, “an organization shouldn’t define you—you should already possess similar characteristics that the organization embodies.” I don’t want to be a Delta in hopes of one day committing to serve the community. I, instead, wish to be a Delta because I seek a strong sisterhood with women, much like myself, who feel like in order to be a leader you must first be a servant… Women who dedicate their lives to education, servitude, and advocacy…. Women who understand the importance of political advancement, giving back in order to progress as a people, as well as taking care oneself in order to be able to give your best as well as your all to others. I grew up thinking community service is a way of life and that our community can only be enriched if we progressively work to strengthen it through all aspects. And as I continue to grow as a young woman, I realize that much like the parable of the talents, found in the bible, we must all be like the third servant and use our God-given gifts and purpose to better this world… and I feel as though my gift is working both with youth and through politics to better not only the community, but the world as well.
Ultimately my goal is to work with intercity children in hopes of leveling the field for our people by providing them with educational supplements so that they can graduate with the opportunity to attend any school that they wish. My plan directly after completing my undergraduate degree is to attend law school while teaching minority student in an intercity. And as I enter the second semester of my active sophomore year in college, I pray that it will God’s Will that I am an accepted by the chapter at my school. For me, I choose Delta Sigma Theta because the organization represents so much of what I stand for as a young black woman… and I hope that they see it enough in me to choose me as well.
Both members and fellow prospective interests, please pray for me in my quest to join Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated.
**I hope I wasn’t too lengthy. I just wanted to give my honest and full reason to answer this thread.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:17 PM
Banned

Welcome, Mrs. Huxtable. Don't worry about how lengthy it was. You will know how to shorten your answer, if need be, if my Sorors ever ask you this question in person.