Welcome to our newest member, BillWitt27
» Online Users: 959
0 members and 959 guests
No Members online

Old 07-24-2010, 09:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Let's get this place movin'!

Dear Sisters and Friends,
I've been away from GC for quite awhile. I poke in from time to time but not like I used to! Kids, life...you know!

So in June, my BSP chapter (Online Kappa) turned 10! I was in charge of organizing the celebration, and it was such a meaningful job for me. Sisters submitted their favorite OLK memories, and I shared some sisterhood quotes and a "Kappa Quiz." It was a lot of fun, but more than that, it reinforced my love for Beta Sigma Phi and reminded me of my roots in this organization.

Craving more BSP, I came over to Greekchat. I was excited to see a few interested women and the return of cutetiger , but I was sad to see how SLooowww things are around here.

In the interest of generating some discussion, consider these questions:

Where are you in your BSP journey right now?
Are you in a chapter, land or online?
What is your chapter like?
Or what has kept you from being involved in a chapter? Trouble finding one? Too busy? None in your area?

Finally, what drew you to BSP? And what keeps you interested?

Looking forward to connecting with you!
Erica
Order of the Rose recipient

Last edited by erica812; 07-24-2010 at 09:05 AM. Reason: typo!
Old 07-24-2010, 09:18 AM
GreekChat Member

My answers:
I have been a member of Beta Sigma Phi for eight years (in November '10), and I've been a member of OLK for seven years (as of March '10). My level of activity and enthusiasm comes and goes, but over and over the old saying "You get out of it what you put into it" proves to be true. When I am most active, my enthusiasm and enjoyment grow.
Are you in a chapter, land or online?I'm in an online chapter, Online Kappa.
What is your chapter like?Fun! OLK runs like a "career" chapter. We have one meeting per month with two educational programs and one social. We chat back and forth all month. I feel very close to my OLK sisters. I share so much of my life with them.
Or what has kept you from being involved in a chapter? Trouble finding one? Too busy? None in your area?BSP isn't very big in my area. I was part of a Friendly Venture for a time, but once I had my first child, I found it difficult to be involved. The online format works well for me.

I was drawn to the traditions of Beta Sigma Phi and its dedication to "Life, Learning, and Friendship." The potential for new friendships is one factor in my staying involved, but I also have just come to LOVE my OLK sisters. At this point, I can't even imagine leaving them!
Old 07-24-2010, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erica812 View Post
Or what has kept you from being involved in a chapter? Trouble finding one? Too busy? None in your area?
Hi Erica - I have been interested in BSP for some time having discovered them online. I have not contacted International to get started yet because I am currently president of another non-profit organization and will not have the time to truly commit to BSP (which I am so drawn to do!) until my term is over in 2011.

So, I'm looking forward to that time. :-) And I hope to meet some ladies here who can take me under their wing and get me off to a good start.

Debora K.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi, Debora. Welcome. That's very responsible of you to wait until one obligation is over before starting a new one. Most people just keep piling 'em on! I'm guilty, too!

In the mean time, I hope you'll get to know more about Beta Sigma Phi through this site and other sources.

Best wishes.
Erica
Old 07-26-2010, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
My answers:
I have been a member of Beta Sigma Phi for seven years. This coming year, I will be president of my chapter
Are you in a chapter, land or online? Land chapter. I used to be part of an online chapter
Or what has kept you from being involved in a chapter? Trouble finding one? Too busy? None in your area? BSP isn't very big in my area. Our chapter is the smallest in our city council area. I believe we have the youngest members too. Our Gamma master chapter has 15. This coming year, my chapter is not part of City Council

Good question. it found me. I had a false start or two in BSP. I became a MAL when I moved down to California. After about a year as a MAL, I decided I was ready to become active again (recovering emotionally from a miscarriage). It took me a while to warm up to the ladies of my new chapter, but I grew to adore them. They are very down to earth
Old 07-31-2010, 09:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erica812 View Post
Hi, Debora. Welcome. That's very responsible of you to wait until one obligation is over before starting a new one. Most people just keep piling 'em on! I'm guilty, too!

In the mean time, I hope you'll get to know more about Beta Sigma Phi through this site and other sources.

Best wishes.
Erica
Thanks Erica! I am intrigued that you are in an online chapter. What do you like best about that? It's definitely an option I may need to consider when I approach BSP about membership next year.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Hello sisters!

I'm Paula, and I'm the first president of Online XI - yep, we're a new chapter (just a few months old) and actually most of us are pledges. So we're learning together!

Online works best for me right now as I travel a lot for work. Also there really aren't any land based chapters within 20 miles of me. So maybe in a few years once I'm comfortable with the ways of the organization I'll look into starting a chapter in my area.

What brought me to Beta Sigma Phi? I have been active in Girl Scouts as a volunteer for many years, but the group in my area is very stagnant. I want to branch out and meet new women who are also wanting to develop a sisterhood! Part of what disappoints me about other organizations is either the lack of ways to enter post-college or the focus on building friendships for life. I'm inspired when I hear about women who are still active 10 or 15 or even 50 years later and I hope that's me one day!

I came to GreekChat to foster building relationships with my other Beta Sigma Phi sisters outside of my chapter - so I'm looking forward to a more active forum here as well! And I promise I will do my part by posting and starting threads.

Jill/Erica - looking forward to getting to know both of you!

Deborah - feel free to reach out to me as well since I'm also in an online chapter - we're just getting started but I'll be happy to share my experiences with you!
Life, learning, and friendship
I'm on a journey - follow my progress
Old 08-01-2010, 09:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingBSP View Post
Hello sisters!

I'm Paula, and I'm the first president of Online XI - yep, we're a new chapter (just a few months old) and actually most of us are pledges. So we're learning together!

Deborah - feel free to reach out to me as well since I'm also in an online chapter - we're just getting started but I'll be happy to share my experiences with you!
Thanks Paula, nice to meet you! I'm sure I'll have questions for you at some point, but right now I don't even know what to ask, lol. I guess I'm jumping the gun a bit since I can't really pursue joining BSP until next year, but I'm just excited about it.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi, Jill! It's always nice to see you around. Way to go on serving as President next year.

Welcome, Paula. Congrats on getting Online Xi up and running! That's excellent. I Friendly Ventured a chapter when I was a brand new pledge. It can be done! Good luck on a success BSP journey.

Seamstone, I love my online chapter for many reasons. But mostly, I love that my sisters are just a key stroke away any time of day or night. Online Kappa is very active. We have conversations going everyday. I don't actually check my e-mail each day, but I know that when I do log on, I'll have lots of fun, supportive comments to read.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to cutetiger Send a message via AIM to cutetiger Send a message via Yahoo to cutetiger

I've been member at large for some years due to a divorce and remarriage and just life in general. I have contacted international to let them know that I was interested in becoming active again. International did a wonderful job of getting my information to the local chapters and even sent me copies of the letters that were sent. This would have been some time in June. As of this current time, I have yet to be contacted by any land chapter in my area (even though there are 4 chapters in the town I live in). I'm thinking of joining an online chapter.

Are you in a chapter, land or online?

Currently in limbo lol.

What is your chapter like?

The last chapter I was in was a wonderful group of people! Unfortunately I lost contact with them after my move.

Just as a side note, I joined BSP in October of 2001. I remember coming to GC to get information about the organization and to share my story. I would like to think that I inspired some (Hello Erica!!!!) to become sisters in this wonderful organization. I hope to see may more years to come in the future.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I have just out about BSP a few weeks ago and i did some research and it looks like an organization I want to be a part of. I called International this morning and gave them my information and I am waiting to hear from a local chapter. I'm super excited and I can't wait to start this journey.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Welcome princessamy!
Life, learning, and friendship
I'm on a journey - follow my progress
Old 09-30-2010, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey, cutetiger. You totally inspired me to join and to Friendly Venture. You gave me an awesome first look at BSP!!!

Erica
Old 09-30-2010, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessamy View Post
I have just out about BSP a few weeks ago and i did some research and it looks like an organization I want to be a part of. I called International this morning and gave them my information and I am waiting to hear from a local chapter. I'm super excited and I can't wait to start this journey.
Welcome, princessamy! Hope you find a cozy home in BSP.

Erica
Old 11-10-2010, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessamy View Post
How is the process going for you? did a local chapter contact you?