GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,157
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 1,567
1 members and 1,566 guests
Mooch279

Old 11-09-2010, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Advice Sought - Chapter Elections

It is that most wonderful time of year again - chapter elections. This year, in the chapter I advise it has been the worst I have ever known it to be. The chapter members are fighting, talking behind each others backs, sending ridiculous messages (sometimes intimidating other members in regards to passing the slate vs. not passing the slate). I am at my wit's end.

As an advisor its easy to sit back, knowing all the details of the individual vote tallies, and know that the chapter made a decision, but half of the women in the chapter are beyond upset.

Several chapter members have expressed concern over one particular e-board officer that was elected, expressing concern that she led the rally to vote down the slate and concern that her opinion serves only her close group of friends.

Again, as an advisor I know either this woman will step up and serve the chapter, or fall flat on her face - at which time the chapter can replace her, however getting the ball rolling with a new eboard seems to be an impossible task.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to calm down the new officers (and the rest of the chapter) and at least get them to just give it the ole' college try - and maybe they will surprise each other?
Old 11-09-2010, 02:15 PM

How big is the chapter? Quite frankly, if the majority of women disliked the slate so much that they voted it down and did individual elections for all the posts...the slate probably did suck.

It sounds like there are just some Bitter Betties who didn't get the position they wanted. You honestly never know, some people who you think will be a trainwreck end up awesome and vice versa. I would tell these girls to STFU until they see what she actually does with the position.

I know that you have to do what your group demands from the top down, but I've always thought the concept of calendar year elections - and therefore having to slate, etc in the middle of fall during football season and when people are still pledging - is stupid. But that's just an aside.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Remind them what's done is done, and that you're an adviser, not a fairy godmother. If they hate the new officer they can change it. It doesn't hurt to remind them that you're older and wiser and can gently advise them that people can be surprising. These might be some of their best officers yet.

I've already heard grumblings for various reasons from actives at my old chapter, and they haven't even held elections yet this year (and these same grumbling have come up every year since my first year...something I always point out...you can't make everyone happy). I say, this is a good time to learn that life isn't always fair, and the "best" people don't always get elected. But just because Suzy wasn't YOUR choice for president doesn't mean she shouldn't have been elected. She got the office, now she gets the chance to try her hand at it. In the meantime, she'll need the cooperation of the chapter to do her job, and her succeeding is in everyone's best interest, not just hers.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 11-09-2010, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I would also suggest some kind of team-building activities for the new officers if it sounds like they aren't getting along. In the past, my undergrad chapter was able to organize something through the recreation department on campus. We had officer training in addition to some physical activities that we had to work through together.

I can't really give any advice on the slate passing issue, because we don't do it that way. This is my first year advising the chapter for elections, so it's been interesting for me as well.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
It's too late for this year, but can I ask how votes are counted? One thing I have seen is chapters that elect officers with a plurality of votes, instead of a majority of votes. This can cause problems, especially when lots of women run for a single position, and often runs counter to what the chapter bylaws say, simply because people don't understand the difference.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
It's too late for this year, but can I ask how votes are counted? One thing I have seen is chapters that elect officers with a plurality of votes, instead of a majority of votes. This can cause problems, especially when lots of women run for a single position, and often runs counter to what the chapter bylaws say, simply because people don't understand the difference.
She might not be able to tell you this. I know that Election Voting Procedures are considered ritual for us, and we can't disclose how the votes are counted (to people outside the organization).

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!
Old 11-10-2010, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
No - its okay - I can share.

We vote by simple majority on the slate by secret ballot. If the slate does not pass we vote by plurality by secret ballot, office by office (because after the slate does not pass nominations are taken from the floor - so we can wind up with 6 women for an office).
Old 11-10-2010, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks everyone. Really your words of support are very encouraging. I guess I was just disappointed in the behavior of some of the members. I am so grateful to have all of your comments!!!