GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,159
Threads: 115,585
Welcome to our newest member, LynchMob66
» Online Users: 1,251
1 members and 1,250 guests
IllyPolly

Old 10-18-2010, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post

And, no, being a broke ass college student/graduate student/young professional is not the same as being a broke ass Black person who is entrenched in poverty without the educational and networking outlets to potentially rise the socioeconomic ladder.
Well said.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm pretty much not feeling the whole "Black in America......" series so there it is. What is it supposed to be accomplishing, really? Let's be real. What are most people going to take from it?
Old 10-18-2010, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyaltempest View Post
I'm pretty much not feeling the whole "Black in America......" series so there it is. What is it supposed to be accomplishing, really? Let's be real. What are most people going to take from it?
Most of the stuff that was discussed in the originals were common sense for black folks. Being on CNN, though, will hopefully be a catalyst for conversation outside of the community. The programs were put together nicely, at least.

Wishful thinking, but that's all I got

Old 10-18-2010, 11:05 PM
Banned

Yeah the original Black in America was to edumacate white folks and give Black folks a few minutes of fame that weren't negative. Afterall, with the first Black president (who urrshered in the era of "he's biracial and not Black"), unaware white folks needed to have their fears calmed. That's also why Michelle Obama's Black folk hair become a white folk topic.

This one is to edumacate Black folks on debt. The reality is that the Black folks who need this the most don't watch CNN in the first place and/or won't be watching this show. Take this show on the road and then we'll have some real outcomes. For the records, there are Black community organizations (including chapters of Delta) that have economic programs in the Black community and teach people about debt, line of credit, investments, etc.

ETA: The media ain't shit but hoes and tricks. It can't teach Black folks and it can't save Black folks. Just nod your head and don't expect too much.

Last edited by DrPhil; 10-18-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yeah the original Black in America was to edumacate white folks and give Black folks a few minutes of fame that weren't negative. Afterall, with the first Black president (who urrshered in the era of "he's biracial and not Black"), unaware white folks needed to have their fears calmed. That's also why Michelle Obama's Black folk hair become a white folk topic.

This one is to edumacate Black folks on debt. The reality is that the Black folks who need this the most don't watch CNN in the first place and/or won't be watching this show. Take this show on the road and then we'll have some real outcomes. For the records, there are Black community organizations (including chapters of Delta) that have economic programs in the Black community and teach people about debt, line of credit, investments, etc.
I would interested in seeing something like that.

And I do admire the NPHC programs (5 Point Thrust, etc) specifically for these purposes (italics) [edit: bold2].

Ugh. I feel like I'm one step away from saying "DIVAstating"

ETA: When the entire quote is in italics, then italicizing it makes no difference. I'll call it "bold2"

Last edited by knight_shadow; 10-18-2010 at 11:18 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
I would interested in seeing something like that.
Yep there are non-profit organizations and individuals who literally take the show on the road. The funny thing is that it is difficult to have a county or state-funded organization that does that. Or does it well.

Quote:
And I do admire the NPHC programs (5 Point Thrust, etc) specifically for these purposes (italics) [edit: bold2].
Yep Delta's Five Point Thrust is awesome and the other NPHCs are also kicking ass and taking names.

Quote:
Ugh. I feel like I'm one step away from saying "DIVAstating"
I will Five Point Throttle you.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yep there are non-profit organizations and individuals who literally take the show on the road. The funny thing is that it is difficult to have a county or state-funded organization that does that. Or does it well.

Yep Delta's Five Point Thrust is awesome and the other NPHCs are also kicking ass and taking names.

I will Five Point Throttle you.
Including our national "Wee Savers" program which teaches the kiddies about finances early.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyaltempest View Post
Including our national "Wee Savers" program which teaches the kiddies about finances early.
See, someone's mama's gonna be mad because you told JohnJohn that he was financially stable enough to move out the crib at age 11.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:21 PM
Banned

Am I the only one who watched this/is watching this?

I will save my comments until others are ready to discuss.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Just finished watching on DVR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Xa4bHcJu8