GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,141
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, commonpeace
» Online Users: 987
0 members and 987 guests
No Members online

Old 09-02-2010, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

what the eff not cool!!
Old 09-02-2010, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post

ETA: Most of my AG books were ruined when the pipes burst in the basement on Christmas Eve, 2009. I was really sad because I thought they were fine (in a plastic bin) but the bin had holes, and my AG books took most of the water. I guess I should be glad that the pictures and whatnot were fine, since the books are replaceable, but I'm still really sad about it.

Oh well - I'm sure I can pick them up on Amazon for pretty cheap.
You could try emailing our sister (the President of AG) and tell her your sad tale!

My daughter has Samantha. We have to call her Samantha 2 because we have a dog named Samantha also and we had her first..lol. Samantha is safely packed away.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I grew up with two sisters, so its safe to say my house was COVERED in everything American Girl Dolls. We still have two or three sitting out in our house, but the rest are up in the attic.. my parents thought they could save them for their future grandchildren

Felicity was my favorite! I loved reading about the Revolutionary War growing up, and I thought she had the coolest life. I also loved Josephina and Samantha.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
IMHO, and I own none of these dolls, cutting Felicity may come back to haunt them. Didn't she have a friend?

ETA: Her friend is Elizabeth. They represent the richer & poorer parts of Williamsburg. I guess more little girls wanted to be Elizabeth than Felicity. For comparison's sake:
Neither Felicity nor Elizabeth are poor. Felicity is solidly middle-class. Her dad is a merchant. Elizabeth's family might have a little more money, but they both go to "school"/lessons at the same place, so there can't be that much of a difference. Or maybe there isn't anything "higher class" for the Coles to spend on? Then again, even the poorest American Girls (like Addy or Kit) somehow have a huge line of clothing and accessories to buy.

Maybe you are thinking of Nellie. She's the poor servant of Samantha's neighbors.

I doubt Felicity is going because she wasn't selling. It has to be just because she's one of the older dolls. Or maybe to make her stuff more valuable. I am devastated.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

I am going to cry if (when) they retire Josefina. Several years ago, the hospital auxiliary here had a Josefina party to raise money; they 'bought' the rights and supplies to conduct the party from the Pleasant Company. I was so excited and plunged into the work...and then the Mexican woman who was going to hostess this huge party bailed at the last minute and I found myself in a huge Mexican dress with a script. I had to stand up there in front of hundreds of people and do the whole thing with a Mexican accent, using lots of Spanish. Women I'd known for 20 years were sitting there open-mouthed.

In spite of that, I still love Josefina (and the Bitty Babies) best.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

vjioletpretty, I have no idea! The closest I've been to American Girls is buying their "trinkets" for friends' kids, and the little books from Chick-fil-a. Although, I really think I would have gotten into them when I was a child...
Old 09-03-2010, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
FELICITY?!?!?! WHAT? Are they stupid? I feel like Felicity is probably their most popular doll.

I knew about Kirsten. I was in NYC last fall and went to American Girl Place and one of the associates broke the news to me.
That makes me sad. I had and still have my Kirsten doll, her bed, trunk, and everything she had in her collection up through about 1992?

My mother took my sister and I to the Williamsburg, VA premiere of Felicity. We actually went on that trip with two other girls from our neighborhood. We grew up playing with our dolls (Felicity, Kirsten, Samantha, & Molly) for COUNTLESS hours...I guess this means the value of my Kirsten, her collection, and my sister's Samantha have gone up in value!
Old 09-03-2010, 01:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I am going to cry if (when) they retire Josefina. Several years ago, the hospital auxiliary here had a Josefina party to raise money; they 'bought' the rights and supplies to conduct the party from the Pleasant Company. I was so excited and plunged into the work...and then the Mexican woman who was going to hostess this huge party bailed at the last minute and I found myself in a huge Mexican dress with a script. I had to stand up there in front of hundreds of people and do the whole thing with a Mexican accent, using lots of Spanish. Women I'd known for 20 years were sitting there open-mouthed.

In spite of that, I still love Josefina (and the Bitty Babies) best.
My sister and I each had a bitty baby with most of their stuff too!
Old 09-03-2010, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I adored my American Girl dolls and books. I have Samantha and Josefina, Samantha is by far my favorite doll and books, but I liked Felicity, too.