GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,542
3 members and 1,539 guests
amIblue?, JayhawkAOII, southernbuff

Old 06-28-2010, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
We aren't too shocked, though.

It certainly isn't the first time that we've read such things from a woman. Patriarchy, sexy, and misogyny require the participation of both men and women to continue.
Oh I know. And if she's happy with it, more power to her. Or.. less power. Or something.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

This type of stuff makes me glad I'm in a relationship where we both respect and value one another, rather than try to control one another.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Not that she's changed her mind, she just didn't like the bad publicity from comparing women to dogs.
Well, I can be a bitch if the situation calls for it.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseeker View Post
this is so true but when i was growing up in church i never heard people proclaiming this the same way they kept on stressing that women must be submissive to their husbands. it made me not wanna get married for a while.
In the Catholic Church, on the Feast of the Holy Family (the Sunday within the Octave of Christmas, if there is one; December 30 if not), the second reading at Mass is Colossians 3:12-21. Col. 3:18 states, "Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord." I was a lector when I was a teenager, and while I was never asked to serve as lector on Holy Family Sunday, if I had been, I would have refused rather than read those words aloud in front of the congregation. (I gather that it is now acceptable to omit verses 18-21.) There is no way in hell I would submit to anyone just because he has a penis and I don't.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dreamseeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
Yes, the author is female. If you have time to waste, read all about her reasons why...

Women shouldn't vote:

...In past posts, I have likened women voting with Satan's tempting of Eve in the Garden of Eden. ... Satan is offering her his power through the vote. Satan promises her that if she votes, she will be "like man", and not only will she know good and evil, she will now be able to decide what is good and evil and further eradicate perceived evils through her vote.

The only reasons why women should have education:

...so that it will make her the best wife and mother possible; NOT so that she will seek independence, climb the corporate ladder, push men out of their jobs, seek competition, and walk around with elitist airs due to her advanced degree and salary...

The reasons for the wage gap:

...if women would just do jobs suitable to their nature they will find they get paid the same as those men in the same line of work. Perhaps another huge part of why women get lower pay in lofty positions is simply because they should not be in those positions. They are doing work that is not suitable to their womanly nature...

And lastly, which women in sororities (or who have more than two friends) might find interesting, why women shouldn't hang out in groups:

...It has become increasingly clear that anytime a large group of women rallies together, its feminism. (Note: feminism is bad) It can be the most conservative, traditional, or biblical group of women out there, but women en masse can't seem to escape the trap of their gender. Women in large groups are simply sheep. When bunched together the dormant sheep mentality comes alive and all it takes is for one to jump of the cliff and the others will follow suit...
wtf?! Ann Coulter, ITY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
Well, I can be a bitch if the situation calls for it.......

In the Catholic Church, on the Feast of the Holy Family (the Sunday within the Octave of Christmas, if there is one; December 30 if not), the second reading at Mass is Colossians 3:12-21. Col. 3:18 states, "Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord." I was a lector when I was a teenager, and while I was never asked to serve as lector on Holy Family Sunday, if I had been, I would have refused rather than read those words aloud in front of the congregation. (I gather that it is now acceptable to omit verses 18-21.) There is no way in hell I would submit to anyone just because he has a penis and I don't.
right?! i don't have a bible near me but i'm pretty sure the verses after that say something about the way husband should treat their wives. of course it doesn't use the word submit, but it definitely takes a stab at equality, lol. yet it's almost always omitted...
Old 06-29-2010, 12:34 AM
GreekChat Member

I would say this woman's an idiot, but she's entitled to her opinion like everyone else so I'll leave it alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseeker View Post
right?! i don't have a bible near me but i'm pretty sure the verses after that say something about the way husband should treat their wives. of course it doesn't use the word submit, but it definitely takes a stab at equality, lol. yet it's almost always omitted...
Yes, there is. It's in Ephesians 6 IIRC.

I have no problem submitting to my husband as long as he submits to me. Marriage is give and take though some would spin it otherwise. My pastor says that the husband is the head of the family, yes. But the wife is the neck....and she retains the right to turn that head any which way she wants.

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl
Old 06-29-2010, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

A man is to respect, serve, and love his own woman...one woman...the same woman. He is to fill her above the brim with respect and love of herself. All that runs over will be his, because if she respects and loves herself, she will respect and love him.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
PrettyBoy

That's equal, to me.

eta: especially the serving part.
HARRIS/WALZ 2024

Last edited by cheerfulgreek; 06-29-2010 at 11:59 AM.