GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,164
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, ibtisamkhan
» Online Users: 962
1 members and 961 guests
TLLK

Old 06-22-2010, 09:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
This seriously happens??? I mean, I kind of thought maybe it might, but I was hoping I was wrong. Jeez, I'm getting happier and happier that I didn't procreate.

I've been in situations where my mom or dad was friends with a kid who I wasn't friends with's parents and the other kid and I, if we were forced to be in the same place, pretty much just sat and ignored each other the whole time. If anything, it made us MORE antagonistic toward each other.
Happens all the time- sometimes for things like KSUViolet said, and sometimes it just so moms have a "group" to sit with at school plays. I think it is worse for the girls- the girls see the moms in their cliques, and the little girls copy their moms and will exclude other girls. With the boys, it tends to be more about sports or physical activities, if you are a good athlete, the other boys will want you on their team no matter who your parents are friends with. Luckily, I have three boys!

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 06-22-2010, 10:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Yes, it's very similar to sitting behind Regina George in HS in hopes that she will talk to you.
This is what life boils down to - at school, at work, greek life, etc.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
This seriously happens??? I mean, I kind of thought maybe it might, but I was hoping I was wrong. Jeez, I'm getting happier and happier that I didn't procreate.
I think the same people get sucked into that who got sucked into it in high school. I didn't have that experience. I have become good friends with some of the parents of my kids' friends. It makes sense to me that children that get along with my kids have parents that get along with me. We've pretty much raised them with the same values. My kids are friends with kids like them. I enjoy their friends and I enjoy their friends' parents. That seems natural to me. Maybe I was just too busy with work and my sickly mom to bother with it all. It seems like the real mommy cliques were with the SAHMs. That is not a slam on SAHMs either.. some of them were not into that at all, but I just think the SAHMs had more time to volunteer at the school, go for coffee after dropping kids off at school, go walking together while kids were in school, etc. When I did take a day off work to go on a field trip or something, I didn't know most of the moms. That was ok with me. I was doing to hang out with my son or daughter, not to hang out with other parents.

The parents I've become closest to are: 1) my Cub Scout co-leader (I was also her son's soccer coach and our boys are still in Boy Scouts together.. she'll be a band parent too next year.. yay!) 2) The parents of twin girls who are in my daughter's Girl Scout troop and who are also in band and 3) One other set of band parents whose daughter is a total sweetie and who are just really nice, fun people .. it's easy to be drawn to them.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
This is what life boils down to - at school, at work, greek life, etc.
The people concur.

There is a big difference between relying on one source of support and detaching from all supports but one. One is fine, even necessary at times and one is usually bad. They are certainly not the same and that goes for all avenues of life.

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl