GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,160
Threads: 115,585
Welcome to our newest member, rubbybuble
» Online Users: 1,096
0 members and 1,096 guests
No Members online

Old 06-14-2010, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Actaully, "looks" do matter - but not the kind you are talking about. If you are the most beautiful girl going thru but don't stand up straight, can't look someone in the eye while talking with them, can't form a complete sentence and are sloppily dressed, you aren't going to make it. However, if you are more on the plain side but stand erect, look confident, talk sincerely with the women you meet and have a pleasant demeaner, you'll go very far!
Old 06-14-2010, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Exactly as I was saying. Could you imagine us saying that looks don't really matter, as long as you're confident and look nice and you're friendly, and then the PNM shows up in ripped jeans, Crocs, and a dingy "Frankie Says Relax" t-shirt? I'd certainly be amused.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Actaully, "looks" do matter - but not the kind you are talking about. If you are the most beautiful girl going thru but don't stand up straight, can't look someone in the eye while talking with them, can't form a complete sentence and are sloppily dressed, you aren't going to make it. However, if you are more on the plain side but stand erect, look confident, talk sincerely with the women you meet and have a pleasant demeaner, you'll go very far!
Nicely put.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 06-14-2010, 06:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianChick View Post
Speaking of GPAs.. what is considered a good one? Right now my college GPA is 3.25.
The average chapter GPA at Arizona is close to a 3.1. GPA is a very big deal here. Coming in as a community college transfer, a 3.25 isn't very impressive especially since you'll be competing with lots of freshmen who have nearly perfect hs grades. I don't mean that in a nasty way, but it is what it is.

Yes, recruitment is superficial in many respects. IMHO it is impossible to get to know a complete stranger in only a couple of short parties but we do our best based on what we learn about people in the information they provide beforehand plus when we meet them. Many girls already know a lot of members, so that helps a lot. The only thing you can do is make sure you get recs, have an impressive application and resume, be yourself and make a good impression during the parties.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, and don't do anything dumb beforehand. You don't want to be known as "that Russian chick who got so drunk at the fraternity party that she ____"
Old 06-15-2010, 09:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The link was actually interesting to read but I am not wondering how much I will be judged on my looks, I am wondering where people get the idea that rush and Greek members in general are superficial. I am wondering because every person who I have met who was part of something was never mean or rude to me or made me think that I was being judged on how I look.

People are getting the idea that Greek members are superficial through an exploitation of stereotypes...just like the stereotype that all Russians drink vodka 24/7. I do not, for one minute believe that is true, but there it is.

Where did it start? Why? Who knows. Just like all stereotypes and prejudice, you must not let that influence your opinion. If your experience has been positive, then focus on being a person who spreads the truth and not the prejudice.

Also, IMO, anytime there is a competitiion for something (job interviews, club membership, invitation to join a society) those who did not get chosen tend to insult and belittle those who did. That is where I think a large part of this stereotype came from.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I am sure that there are similar threads on almost every topic but even though that is so let the new ones be. There will always be repeats; if you find them annoying then simply do not reply and move on to something that interests you more. There is no need to always point out the fact that similar post exist. Of course they do, this is not a new site.
Quote:
There is no need to be rude.
Quote:
Many things are not original, there are a lot of repeats in everything. But oh well.. we are getting away from the topic so lets just move on.
QFP, just because...

I am very familiar with the University of Arizona recruitment process (as are two other posters on GC). Grades are Very Important and there is a healthy competition for incoming PNMs with stellar GPAs. All the houses want to be first in scholarship. Yes, appearance is important. And there is a strong preference for freshmen, although it is not unheard of for sophomores and the occasional junior to receive bids. Typically those bids go to women who are already known by the chapters. The age discrepancy b/w this PNM and the typical PNMs is significant and may negatively impact her invitations, especially in the early rounds when heavy cuts are made, due to RFM.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity