GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,151
Threads: 115,578
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,039
2 members and 1,037 guests
LaneSig

Old 06-05-2010, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Are you hard to vaction for? Vacation with?

Do you find yourself not going on vacations because you think the typical vacation spots are corny? Lame? Commercial?

Second question: Would you rather just vacation by yourself because you know exactly what you want to do and hate doing what the group does because it's lame and corny?

Bottom line: I want to go back to New Orleans. Ugh. lol
Old 06-05-2010, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Difficult would be an appropriate word - I think maybe I am just not very much fun? I don't drink much, I go to bed at a reasonable hour and wake up early, I don't know how to gamble well so I avoid it, I don't get on boats because I can hardly swim ... anyone who likes to party is not going to want to take me with them on a trip. There's a lot of vacation hot spots where there is just not much for me to do. I would much rather go somewhere and visit different museums and historic sites and such the whole time. If I'm going to go to a beach, I'd rather it NOT be a popular one - I can't stand to be around all the people at a crowded beach.

I think maybe I am secretly 70 or something. Oh well.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

YES.

Ugh.

lol

I also "convention" a lot (well, like one APO and one Alpha convention every other year) and it's draining.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I just never have any idea of what I want to do or see while on vacation. I am not a pre-planner. I can just as easily sleep in as get up super early to see the sights. After my 3rd or 4th (can't recall) trip to New Orleans I finally saw/did some of the touristy stuff, it was fun but exhausting!
Sen, I'm working on getting you there but that's a ways off still.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I think DSTRen13 and I might be the same person - minus the boats. I acknowledge that I'm a little bit of a wet blanket. It's not that I'm not fun, it's just that I don't need a lot of "exciting" things to occupy me. The reason is probably that I am so busy in my regular life, that I prefer to just do nothing on vacation and in my free time.

I think who I vacation with is a big factor to my level of enjoyment. Vacationing with my family can be frustrating, where vacationing with fraternity brothers is usually a lot more fun, but also occasionally a lot more frustrating. When I'm with my chapter brothers I'm more likely to do things I wouldn't normally do so that results in a lot of good experiences I wouldn't have had if I had been in my comfort zone. It serves to mention that I usually get frustrated regardless of the company on vacations because I really like to do things by myself, and at my own pace.

As to your first question, I usually scoff at traditional vacation spots because I'm snobby like that, but I've actually had a lot of fun when I'm "forced" to do those things. Cruises are a perfect example. Before I went I thought they were for fat Americans, but it's actually my favorite thing to do for a vacation.

Side note: I'll be in New Orleans this August for Convention, and I couldn't be more excited!!!

Last edited by Gusteau; 06-05-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I am an explorer traveler. If I am in the city, that means I am walking down as many streets as I can, just to see what I see. If I am in the country, that means I am hiking, climbing waterfalls, riding horses, whatever.

I don't think that makes me difficult to travel with, it just means that I have to be selective about with whom I travel. I have a group that doesn't like to do any of those things, which is ok. That just means I know that I am signing up for when I decide to vacation with them. Luckily, I also have a group that LOVES that stuff, so I can travel with them when I want to too.

To be honest, there are times when I just want to go by myself. If you are by yourself, your agenda is your own. You don't have to compromise on what you want to do or see. There are also times when I have to go by myself. I am not going to miss my opportunity to go somewhere while I am waiting for other folks to get their act together.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTRen13 View Post
Difficult would be an appropriate word - I think maybe I am just not very much fun? I don't drink much, I go to bed at a reasonable hour and wake up early, I don't know how to gamble well so I avoid it, I don't get on boats because I can hardly swim ... anyone who likes to party is not going to want to take me with them on a trip. There's a lot of vacation hot spots where there is just not much for me to do. I would much rather go somewhere and visit different museums and historic sites and such the whole time. If I'm going to go to a beach, I'd rather it NOT be a popular one - I can't stand to be around all the people at a crowded beach.

I think maybe I am secretly 70 or something. Oh well.

I am like this as well. My main issue is that I don't like beaches or hot weather . I am very vampiric in that aspect and I don't mean I sparkle. The only exception would be Egypt but I would much rather visit an old museum or a drafty European castle. My dream vacation would be a (ghosthunting) walk anywhere I wanted through the Tower of London and Hampton Court with one knowledgeable guide.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

My guy and I are having this problem. His idea of the ideal vacation is to drive from concert venue to amusement park, repeat as necessary. He'll also go almost anywhere with friends or to see a sport that interests him. I would rather go somewhere (not driving more than 4-5 hours) and see anything historical in the area, research, and go out in the evening for a nice dinner. We were in DC together and he didn't really want to go to Mt. Vernon, and I almost cried. I love the stretch of the GW Parkway from Alexandria to Mt. Vernon so much, if I knew I was going to die tomorrow, I would want to drive it one last time. He ended up going into DC with the guys, while I went to Mt. Vernon with some friends.

We've since decided that we will both need separate vacations.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't like tourists traps and touristy areas (I live in Florida and I know Disney and Universal are great, but Orlando is a straight up nightmare of a city and the touristy parts are just god awful). I do wanna go to typical vacation spots- Europe, Hawaii, NYC, etc. but I tend to avoid anything too touristy unless it's a really amazing excursion/sight/etc. I'm a little more inclined to hit tourists spots in foreign countries, but in the U.S. they just annoy me and I can't spend too long or I go off-peak times, and I would rather hit the less known and equally as neat areas of cities and states (For example while everyone roams typical areas of Manhattan in NYC, I am off exploring Brooklyn). I don't necessarily think I am difficult cuz I will go along with the crowd with a smile on my face...but I would just prefer to vacation with people who are on the same page as me.

"Together Let Us Seek The Heights"
Old 06-05-2010, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not difficult, I'm just a very relaxed traveler.

When I am on vacay, I want to RELAX.

The only things I really want to do on vacay:

Eat. Shop. Sleep late. Read by the pool. Have drinks. Swim. Spa. Shows.

That's it.

If you want to be up and out of the hotel by 6 AM and go on a bazillion tours throughout the day, I am not your girl. If you want to party all night long, you're not going to have fun with me.

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post

When I am on vacay, I want to RELAX.

The only things I really want to do on vacay:

Eat. Shop. Sleep late. Read by the pool. Have drinks.
That's it.
You and me, both! I like to kick back on vacation, not race around trying to see as many sites as possible.

Also, I don't go camping, don't like to be too hot/too cold, and I don't like heights...so on occasion, I've had to skip some trips. I will only go on a trip with others if I know that I will be a happy participant. Otherwise, I don't inflict myself upon the group.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:01 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't think I'm hard to travel with as long as you're okay with exploring. I love to explore new places and have no problem with going to get lost for a day. I wanna see everything, usually all at once. However, if we're on an island/beach, then I MUST do water activities. Going to Hawaii just to shop and sunbathe is my idea of torture. Most people I know will have a problem with the 2 conditions above, which is why I end up going lots of places by myself.

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl
Old 06-06-2010, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

My main thing is that I don't want to be on a time schedule, for the most part, and there must be water involved (lake, ocean AND a pool, not just a pool). I want to wake up when I wake up, meander out by the water when I get there. Swim, read, sunbathe til I'm sick of it, go to my room and nap or read, shower, go out for dinner and then do something in the evening, a show, some sight seeing, etc. I really don't want to be on the go the whole time. Vacations are my down time. If I'm staying somewhere for a whole week, a day or two of sight seeing can be tossed in there, but it will be at a leisurely pace.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little32 View Post
I am an explorer traveler. If I am in the city, that means I am walking down as many streets as I can, just to see what I see. If I am in the country, that means I am hiking, climbing waterfalls, riding horses, whatever.

I don't think that makes me difficult to travel with, it just means that I have to be selective about with whom I travel. I have a group that doesn't like to do any of those things, which is ok. That just means I know that I am signing up for when I decide to vacation with them.
I couldn't have said it any better myself! I'm totally on the same page.