GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,151
Threads: 115,578
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,324
4 members and 1,320 guests
Cookiez17, LaneSig, shadokat

Old 05-25-2010, 10:23 PM

Interesting related article in today's NY Times:

Looking Past the Children’s Menu

The article is about a restaurateur in NYC who does not offer a children's menu at his restaurant. He'll make certain accommodations for children, such as offering appetizer portions of pasta as a main meal for small children, but there's no kid's menu offering chicken nuggets and burgers.

He also makes his children try a wide variety of foods at home. The children aren't always happy about it, but they aren't allowed to say no - and as a result, they are adventuresome about food. It struck me that the interview was conducted over dinner, and the reporter's own ~4yo twins (used to chicken fingers and fries) followed the example of the restaurateur's children (who are older) and ate what they were served.

I'm reminded (rather forcefully) of my own childhood. I ate what my mother cooked, whether I liked it or not. She would not cook a separate meal for me, unless she was cooking a very spicy curry, and even then all she would do was pull out a lightly-spiced portion for me before adding the hot spices to the main pot. Result: I'm a very adventuresome eater, even more so than my own parents - I eat sushi, which they won't touch with a barge pole (they won't even eat veggie sushi).

Edit: Also, when I was 10-11 years old, when my parents and I went out to eat and I was given a children's menu, I would say, "May I have the real menu please?" Maybe I came across as a junior bitch, but at that age I had no interest in connecting the dots with a crayon while waiting to get some chicken nuggets - I wanted real conversation and normal adult food.

Last edited by aephi alum; 05-25-2010 at 10:37 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISUKappa View Post
O.M.G.

Those kids have complete control over their parents and they know it.

*shakes head*
*poors out champagne on the carpet for the parents*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
Post #61 reminds me of a family that my sister used to babysit for....
This bothers me out my nephew--my parents cater to his food pickiness way more than they did with either me or my sister. They make him seperate meals made all the time and he tries to pull that on others. A couple years ago, NephewCG once asked for scrambled eggs. Eggs were made. He pulls a face and says, "Eeeeewww YUCK!!" and tried to throw them on the floor. He got a 3-minute time out for trying to throw food and and a lecture for being rude. I was already pissed that morning so his lecture was very loud. He had the option to either eat the food or just eat the other stuff on the plate. If it's not enough to get full, don't complain at school, you had a chance to eat more (I think he chose to just eat the toast and fruit). He'll try me once in a while to see if I've budged, but we haven't had an episode like that since that day.

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl