Welcome to our newest member, commonpeace
» Online Users: 939
1 members and 938 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 03-23-2010, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Ugly Man On Campus fundraiser

UMOC

Last edited by AlwaysInLFS; 08-13-2011 at 12:41 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:20 AM
GreekChat Member

I have actually never heard of this... should pass it along to my chapter, sounds interesting.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysInLFS View Post
Sorry to be posting again so soon, but right now my chapter is working on our own spin of Ugly Man On Campus! We had to change the name since our school administrators didn't like the ugly or the man part, so now it's the Funniest Bull On Campus event!

My question is, have any other APO chapters out there successfully pulled off a UMOC event recently? If so, what did you do? So far we've had a very hard time getting other organizations to join us, even though we are offering the winning organization half of the money raised for their own charity. The only posts I could find on here about it were back from 2004 and indicated that UMOC was dying out.
First of all, I don't think *anyone* on here has a problem with people making valid posts that close together. (If anyone does have a problem with that, please let me know so that I can find people to laugh at them)

Both of your posts are quite welcome here (and I know we've been happy with posts that are much sillier.

In regards to your request...

I'd suggest a couple of things, on the National website is a writeup on doing a UMOC done as a presentation at a conference http://www.apo.org/pages/show/Traini...Category?id=SV (and search for ugly)

I'd also suggest contacting the Service Program Director, Adam Bolain. On the national website, go to http://www.apo.org/pages/show/About/...d_of_Directors

and click National Service Program Director. If you are logged in, it will do it as a mailto and bring up his email, if not, it will give you a way to email him on the site. (cuts down on spam).

Last edited by naraht; 03-23-2010 at 11:06 AM. Reason: make more welcoming.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

For some reason this idea really latched on to me. Wrote up a proposal and sent it to my chapter's Excomm. Hopefully they like the idea and we can have a UMOC on my own campus.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

FWIW, in my scanning of my large collection of T&Ts, I pulled out everything I saw regarding UMOC. I did this to help research this uniquely APO event. I would love to see this material put together into a booklet (ideally available as a PDF) that would both record the history of UMOC, but give resources to chapters wanted to run an UMOC event.

For many years, we ran articles in the TnT on UMOC and how to run UMOC events.
Section 71 Chair
Old 04-02-2010, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Google Archives

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysInLFS View Post
Thanks so much for the links Naraht! We ended up getting a total of 6 organizations to participate.

We just finished today and our total raised in the competition was over $600! In addition we had a very generous alum of our chapter drop by to donate $150 to our Relay for Life team! So in the end, we have $450 to give to the American Cancer Society and the winning team, the Dance Marathon organizers, have $300 to give to the Children's Miracle Network

Hopefully we will be able to make this an annual event and make it even bigger and better next year! And gammaowl, I wish you and your chapter good luck if you all get to do Ugly Man!
Also, a place I forgot to mention is that the Google News archive includes quite a bit of coverage of Ugly Man over the years. Check out

http://news.google.com/archivesearch...earch+Archives

Mostly Penn State and SE Missouri, but that may have more to do with which school newspapers are available in the news archive than those being the only schools...
Old 05-24-2010, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Originally at Georgia Tech...

According to the October 1953 Boys' Life (the Boy Scout magazine), the first school to do Ugly Man on Campus was Georgia Tech. (That would be Gamma Zeta chapter)
http://books.google.com/books?id=hYu...ega%22&f=false
Old 05-24-2010, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
According to the October 1953 Boys' Life (the Boy Scout magazine), the first school to do Ugly Man on Campus was Georgia Tech. (That would be Gamma Zeta chapter)
According to my researches, it started at Georgia Tech around 1942 (maybe before that).
Section 71 Chair
Old 05-24-2010, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb021 View Post
According to my researches, it started at Georgia Tech around 1942 (maybe before that).
Good to know we aren't contradicting each other. That would blow our reputations for knowing everything.

OK, Gamma Zeta @ Georgia Tech chartered on December 16th, 1939. By December 1940, Gamma Zeta had already run Ugly Man and there is an indication in the subtitle that this is not the first time "This time more votes than students"
(http://smartech.gatech.edu/bitstream...2-20_20_12.pdf)

Actual announcement of contest was on 12-6-1940 (http://smartech.gatech.edu/bitstream...2-06_20_10.pdf).

So, we are down to a year of possibilities.

Last edited by naraht; 05-24-2010 at 04:20 PM. Reason: more info