Threads: 115,587
Welcome to our newest member, commonpeace
» Online Users: 1,067
1 members and 1,066 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 04-14-2009, 08:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Parents reaction to Alpha Phi Omega

How did your parents react to the fact that you were planning to pledge/ pledging / joined APO?

My dad was in a Social Fraternity that, although he keeps up his paddles on the wall, he wants *nothing* to do with the national Fraternity any more. (To the point where he isn't even interested in whether local schools have chapters or not, and will deliberately change the subject.)

My mother went to the same University (U of Kentucky) as my Dad for the last 3 years, so she is certainly familiar with Fraternities and Sororities.

My parents were generally neutral on the subject, their most negative reaction was to my sister joining APO, not because it was APO, but because the chapter at my sister's school (Slippery Rock U.) was *significantly* different than the one that I joined and she perhaps had unreasonable expectations that the chapters would be more similar.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:57 AM
GreekChat Member

My mom is a Delta and was generally neutral to me pledging APO. I don't believe there was a chapter at her alma mater, so all she knew was what I told her about it. She warmed up to it once she saw the friends I was making through it. (I think she must have also appreciated the fact that I didn't need her help to pay for it.)
Old 04-14-2009, 06:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, my parents were not to keen on my joining up even after I explained to them what APO was and all the other benefits that would come out of it. I was active (really active) in my chapter during college and I even got my sister to join at her university but they never really understood the point. Neither of them were greek in college and I think they both had very negative stereotypes about the whole lettered organization thing. Despite how they felt I've never had a second thought about joining and being a member.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:38 PM

When I told them it was service based and that the dues were relatively low, they were all for it.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Explicit
At the time, I told my dad about it, and his reaction was, "Oh, that's cool."

My dad didn't get past the 8th grade, (though he later got his GED), so he really doesn't have any ideas about college related things. I also grew up with very little restrictions, and I proved that I have a good head on my shoulders, so he pretty much trusts my judgement, no matter what.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

My parents were pretty excited when I told them about pledging APO. I'm the first in my family to go to college, so pretty much anything I do on campus is the greatest thing that's ever happened to them.

They were so excited, in fact, they bought me a black tote bag with our letters on it and in the colors.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

My family was cool with, but they were curious about whether or not I still wanted to join a social sorority....My family is made up of AKAs and Omegas.

Old 06-13-2009, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

My family was cool with it. Most of them have never heard of Alpha Phi Omega until after I pledged.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Topflight.....my LB!!!!! What up.

But my parents were cool about me pledging APO...my sisters were deltas, so they was cool wit me pledging too.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDEG4161 View Post
My parents were pretty excited when I told them about pledging APO. I'm the first in my family to go to college, so pretty much anything I do on campus is the greatest thing that's ever happened to them.

They were so excited, in fact, they bought me a black tote bag with our letters on it and in the colors.
My Parents reacted the same EXACT way! LOL
*Lucky #7*
Old 05-21-2010, 06:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_girl View Post
Since you all are like all Native American do yall do ritual stuff in the sorority? Do you sit around the fire and go on spiritual quest to be renamed like heart of rabbit?
WHAT IF A WHITE GIRL WANTED TO JOIN? just askin.
I think you have us confused with Alpha Pi Omega, which is a Native American Sorority. Alpha Phi Omega is a National Service Fraternity open to both men and women.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
I think you have us confused with Alpha Pi Omega, which is a Native American Sorority. Alpha Phi Omega is a National Service Fraternity open to both men and women.
ignore mustang. shes a troll.