GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,159
Threads: 115,585
Welcome to our newest member, LynchMob66
» Online Users: 974
0 members and 974 guests
No Members online

Old 05-14-2002, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh God!: A Black Woman's Guide to Sex and Spirituality

Has anyone checked out the book "Oh God!: A Black Woman's Guide to Sex and Spirituality" by Reverend Dr. Susan Newman? Sounds VERY interesting.

Here is a synopsis from the publisher:

"Far too many African American women struggle with a deep division between the two fundamental pillars of their identity–spirituality and sexuality. The church tells them that to live “holy and sanctified” lives they must give up sexual activity outside the institution of marriage, and yet their bodies and souls cry out for a way to express and fulfill their natural passions. In this groundbreaking book, the Reverend Dr. Susan Newman, a nationally recognized minister and speaker, finally shows all women of faith how to find a healthy balance between their spiritual selves and their sexual needs.

Dr. Newman opens with a simple but startling premise: You can love God and love sex at the same time. Though it may sound irreverent, this premise is actually the basis for an essential journey to self-knowledge and reconciliation. As Dr. Newman shows, this journey has been denied to women for centuries because of church traditions and doctrines going back to the Old Testament and to the teachings of Saint Paul. For African American women, the spiritual-sexual divide was compounded by slavery.

But women of faith do not have to live divided lives. Writing with passion, candor, and welcome humor, Dr. Newman opens new paths to healing and reconciliation. Here are frank, direct discussions about sex both inside and outside marriage; about being honest about your spiritual and erotic needs; about making personal choices; and about acknowledging the holiness of your body.

The goal, as Dr. Newman explains, is not to suppress or channel your sexuality, but to embrace sex as a wonderful gift from God. As a woman of faith–and as a woman–youdeserve a healthy, satisfying life, a life open to passion and truly free of guilt and shame. The first book of its kind, Oh God! is a landmark achievement that will be welcomed by black women who want to live in wholeness of spirit and body."

Click here to read an exerpt: http://shop.barnesandnoble.com/books...ayonly=excerpt
Old 05-14-2002, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

It's about time someone wrote this book. I would be interested in 'browsing' through it at a bookstore before making the investment. But, the Reverend Dr. is definitely addressing a topic that has been on the mind of single Christian women for quite some time.

On one hand, I have found it extremely patronizing and paternalistic to have some men of the cloth instruct single women on celebacy. But they get to go home to a spouse, warm meal and bed.

But on the other hand, even though I have sexual desires, I cannot see kickin it sexually with a WHOLE lot of men. The Bible does preach against pre-marital sex. I don't care if I met him at church. As a pastor said, 'are you on the premises or standing on the promises.' On Sunday morning even wolves can look kinda correct in their church suit. And let's not mention the AIDS and STD epidemic. If these malady's rang a doorbell or two I would think that it would make a sista slow down and think long and hard about celebacy.

But in the grander scheme of things the bottom line is what is God instructing 'me' to do about my fleshly desires. Not now does not mean never again. And, I can say that the periods of abstinance has allowed me to evaluate the level of 'freakiness' I want in my man <if ya get my drift>.

And I don't think this only pertains to Christian women. While reading Queen Afua's Sacred Woman, she had a wealth of knowledge and instruction for any woman who desired to seek a higher level of consciousness in their sexual decisions and activity.

If the good Reverend Dr. takes it from the standpoint that you can recover from a fall, and there is forgiveness, then it will have a great deal of merit. However, if it's written to encourage women in the church to freely explore their sexuality as the situation(s) dictate, then that may pose a problem.

Hmmmm, I wonder what Juanita Bynum would say about this??? LOL
Old 05-17-2002, 03:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Salience Send a message via Yahoo to Salience
Hmm

With the mixed reviews I've read from several sites, I'm going to hold off on purchasing the book, though the premise does sound promising.

Unfortunately, not a lot of great preachers are great writers, Jakes, included. Can someone explain the "Loosed" thing to me? I couldn't finish the workbook.