Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,187
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο

Old 05-08-2002, 02:51 PM

employer call-backs...??

Hey folks, quick topic here that i hope someone may be able to offer advice for.

I received a message on my cell phone that said..."good evening Mr. Gagnon, this is XXX from XXX in response to the resume and application you left us a little while back for the XXX position. I wasn't sure if you're still looking for employment, but we do have some positions available and I would really like to speak to you, call me back at XXX, thanks XXX Director of Human Resources.

Okay, this person called me exactly one week ago late wenesday afternoon. I returned her call that evening which means she would have gotten the message the following thursday - yet she has since to call me back.

On friday i wasn't sure what to do, so i asked my co-worker (who recommended that i put an application in at this place) who's got a good buddy in the same dept. to put in a good word for me....Monday, no word...time to give her another call before she leaves for the day - machine....

i've given up trying to get an interview with this job, i have no idea what the hell this chick is doing, or why she couldn't take 2 mins from her busy schedule to at least return my call and try to make a time for an appointment....

Last edited by Lil_G; 05-08-2002 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-08-2002, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

Don't give up on her yet, Lil_G. My dad is the VP of Human Resources for his company, and it sometimes takes his staff a while to call people back due to their workload. Many times, they are out on business trips for several days and will wait to make phone calls until they return. Or, if they have a large project in the works, they'll wait until it's completed so that they have uninterrupted time to devote to an interview.

If I were you, I'd give her a couple of days before calling again. Or, is there anyone else in the department that you could call and speak with in lieu of the original woman?

Good luck!!
Old 05-08-2002, 08:02 PM

Thanks for your input, i haven't dealt with many organizations like this, so i wasn't sure if this is typical procedure. I'll continue to look for employment elsewhere with this in mind.
Old 05-08-2002, 08:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
Also they may have higher priority positions they are working on-- example: the position you applied for won't be vacant for a month, they are working on staffing positions vacant now
Old 05-15-2002, 06:30 PM

update

Okay, i decided to give her a call this afternoon exactly 2 weeks after the initial call - just for the hell of it.

Lo and behold i did manage to speak too her. She said that she believes the position is filled (since there are no more applications/resumes in the contact box for potential applicants). She also said she wasn't sure because she was gone for a few days and was not the individual responsible for filling the position.

So why did she call me in the first place if she was: about to leave the office for a few days AND/OR not the individual responsible for conducting the interviews?

She also asked if i was still looking for employment (no i'm calling from publishers clearinghouse) and asked for my number because i geuss my application & resume were tossed out.

I don't know...
if the human resources department had any organization you would think that the individuals in the same department would be able to get messages from each other (because this woman must have at least checked her phone) or would have picked up the good word i had placed for me by an associate.

...shaking my head...
Old 05-15-2002, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Coming from a small time HR director, that sounds fishy. Sounds like they really needed someone and they filled it pretty quick and didn't want to call you back and tell you!

I would send in a resume again and just say that since you were contacted by XXX you want them to keep you on file. I find persistent applicants are usually top on the list for interviews.
Old 05-15-2002, 08:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to theta sig agd
I dont know if I would want a resume on file there! Sounds like they either dont have any organization, or qualified people, or both!

Why didnt the person responsible for filling the position call you??? I wouldnt want to work there!
Old 05-16-2002, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by theta sig agd
I dont know if I would want a resume on file there! Sounds like they either dont have any organization, or qualified people, or both!
Seriously, i don't know what happened to my resume but i'm not gonna take the time to drop off another one. I'm still a little bitter because it's a huge let-down, in all certaintly I would of had the job if it weren't for their incompetence.
Old 05-16-2002, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

First impressions can be important... if that's the way their HR department works then imagine the rest of the company...
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 05-16-2002, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

In a perfect world every employee of that company would be on top of things, but one person could just be off and it's really hard to judge an entire company on HR. HR is overlooked by so many and the departments are usually understaffed so, I still say that if you want to be considered still send another, but if you don't want to work there forget it.
Old 05-16-2002, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake
First impressions can be important... if that's the way their HR department works then imagine the rest of the company...
First impressions? She never met me, did you read the first post? the first time i talked to her (not the machine) the position was occupied. Unless she was basing the 15 words in my first message as a means for evaluating my potential...

LexiKD
Yeah, this place most likely is understaffed, or so i've heard. However, this woman was the director of human resources, she should be on top of things. Why do you call ppl looking for employees if you're not gonna tell any of your co-workers about it, especially if they're the individuals supposed to be conducting the interview.
I'm not dropping another resume off at this place, i don't have time to be calling these ppl everyday.