GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Alpha Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,172
Threads: 115,577
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,448
1 members and 1,447 guests
John

Old 12-30-2009, 12:46 AM
GreekChat Member

don't you wish there was a theta animal?

saw this on a tri sig forum and have to agree- don't you wish we had an animal/mascot? it sure would make big/little gifts easier! i had girls during recruitment this year ask me why we didn't! The kite and twin stars are very meaningful, and the pansy as well, but an animal would be sweet!
Old 12-30-2009, 05:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Welcome to GC goflyakite!

I am probably backwards from most in that one thing that I like about Theta is that our symbol is something non-animate. However, our chapter did use cats as a mascot which could help in a pinch if you wanted to give a stuffed animal or needed another item to decorate with. While there is obviously no ritual meaning with the cat, given our letters it does lend itself to ease of use. In addition, it is easy to work in our colors when using cats.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

My chapter had a local mascot of the bumble bee because a bumble bee is black and gold, but there is no meaning or anything with it other than why we picked it. I have seen other chapters used cats as well.

I have mixed feelings about having an animal mascot. On one hand it would be nice with decorating/collecting purposes, as long as a meaning was put behind it rather than having one just to have one. On the other hand, I like that we dont have one because it is yet something else that makes us unique!

I believe a similar discussion happened a few years back regarding the establishment of a fraternity jewel.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

crash!

The first animal that came to mind for me was a tiger, not sure why because I know they are orange and black not yellow and black..but a lil tiger cub would be soo cute!
Old 01-04-2010, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

How to answer the recruitment question is kind of open for discussion-I would answer it and say that our founders didn't designate a mascot. While our ritual has evolved over the years, the core of it has remained the same, and a mascot was never introduced. this way you refrain from judging other groups and mascots as good or bad.

IMHO, I like having a limited number of symbols. They all have a significant part in the ritual. Adding a cutesy animal is something we may regret 50 years down the road as traditions/fashions change.

Sidebar: I was on the gemstone research committee.. Aside from the fact that the bulk of the fraternity had no preference of a gemstone (this based on survey data), there was a problem with how to incorporate an additional symbol into existing ritual. There really wasn't a good way to do it! Personally, I love having the flexibility to customize our badge with any gem. My friends in other greek groups are quite envious!!