Threads: 115,587
Welcome to our newest member, commonpeace
» Online Users: 1,056
1 members and 1,055 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 11-29-2009, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

First African-American Brother in APO

Well, I haven't been able to find out for certain who the first African-American brother in the fraternity was, but I *have* been able to verify that there was at least one African American brother in the Fraternity *prior* to the chartering of the first chapter at an HBCU.

Delta Eta chapter at Oregon State University which chartered June 9, 1946 included William Tebeau would would be Oregon State's first male African-American graduate among its charterers.

Delta Phi chapter at Johnson C. Smith University chartered April 17, 1947.

See http://digitalcollections.library.or...al&CISOPTR=253 for a picture of the chartering and for more information on Brother Tebeau, see pages 11 and 12 of "Stories from the Peculiar Paradise, Prominent Black Men in Oregon History". (http://www.salemmulticultural.org/fi...20Pamphlet.pdf)
Old 11-29-2009, 09:42 PM
GreekChat Member

You kick ass, naraht.

Wonderful find!
Old 12-01-2009, 04:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
Well, I haven't been able to find out for certain who the first African-American brother in the fraternity was, but I *have* been able to verify that there was at least one African American brother in the Fraternity *prior* to the chartering of the first chapter at an HBCU.

Delta Eta chapter at Oregon State University which chartered June 9, 1946 included William Tebeau would would be Oregon State's first male African-American graduate among its charterers.

Delta Phi chapter at Johnson C. Smith University chartered April 17, 1947.

See http://digitalcollections.library.or...al&CISOPTR=253 for a picture of the chartering and for more information on Brother Tebeau, see pages 11 and 12 of "Stories from the Peculiar Paradise, Prominent Black Men in Oregon History". (http://www.salemmulticultural.org/fi...0Pamphlet.pdf)
In the APO history book, in the "Conventions" chapter, I saw an African-American brother in the group photo at the 1940 National Convention in the foreground. Obviously, I cannot indicate what chapter he was or would have been initiated at. But I definately know that there were African American men initiated at least as far back as 1940.

KAY<>FNP
Old 12-01-2009, 09:34 AM
GreekChat Member

wait, APO has a history book? I knew there was a facebook page dedicated to APO history and traditions but I can't access that from school.

Is there anywhere we can access this book or is there some other place we can find this information? I'm generally quite interested in the history of the fraternity bu the only info I've seen are the things readily available.

Also, nice find on this tid-bit about the first African American brother. It's nice to know APO was ahead of the curve in many respects and in my mind at leas is a great example of living out our core values.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Joseph View Post
wait, APO has a history book? I knew there was a facebook page dedicated to APO history and traditions but I can't access that from school.

Is there anywhere we can access this book or is there some other place we can find this information? I'm generally quite interested in the history of the fraternity bu the only info I've seen are the things readily available.

Also, nice find on this tid-bit about the first African American brother. It's nice to know APO was ahead of the curve in many respects and in my mind at leas is a great example of living out our core values.
There was one published in 93 or 94, but it is out of print. I have obtained copies from www.abebooks.com in the past.

There is also a 75th anniversary history CD ROM available from the national office.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Love the interesting facts!!! Thanks Brothers :-)

Old 12-01-2009, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAPital PHINUst View Post
In the APO history book, in the "Conventions" chapter, I saw an African-American brother in the group photo at the 1940 National Convention in the foreground. Obviously, I cannot indicate what chapter he was or would have been initiated at. But I definately know that there were African American men initiated at least as far back as 1940.
I got out my history book and went looking... I presume this is the photo on page 102 top half of the page. I don't see anyone in that photo that I would consider African-American, but am very willing to consider the idea that in a black and white photo that someone I might see as Hispanic, someone else would consider African American. (and arguably we might both be right) Can you be more specific who you consider to be African American in that shot?

RAndy
Old 12-01-2009, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
There was one published in 93 or 94, but it is out of print. I have obtained copies from www.abebooks.com in the past.

There is also a 75th anniversary history CD ROM available from the national office.
Fall of 1993, I believe. The title on the Spine is Alpha Phi Omega, National Service Fraternity. The front cover title is Alpha Phi Omega, National Service Fraternity 1925-1993. The last charter in the list of chapters chartered August 1993.

I thoroughly recommend the 75th anniversary CD. There is definitely some useful information on there, and I really like the recording of the Toast Song done by the brothers from Zeta Phi @ Howard.