GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,162
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, Duece464
» Online Users: 1,037
2 members and 1,035 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 11-20-2009, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Unjustified billing

i pledged fall of 2008 and the fraternity was suspended and all pledging must stop i paid all my money. they still consider me a pledge because i have no access to scholarships that is offered to a full member. i left the fraternity and disaffliated and yet they are still charging me? is this justified do i have a legal case?
Old 11-21-2009, 03:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Did you sign a contract of any kind when you pledged?
Old 11-21-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powA View Post
i pledged fall of 2008 and the fraternity was suspended and all pledging must stop i paid all my money. they still consider me a pledge because i have no access to scholarships that is offered to a full member. i left the fraternity and disaffliated and yet they are still charging me? is this justified do i have a legal case?
Contact the national headquarters of the fraternity. If you were not initiated, you should receive some sort of refund. If they refuse to do that, you should be allowed to go through the initiation ritual and apply for scholarships. Keeping you a "permanent pledge" could be considered hazing.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Contact the national headquarters of the fraternity. If you were not initiated, you should receive some sort of refund.
Uhm... no?

I don't know that any refund is involved if you get kicked out or drop out. The money's spent.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 11-21-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
Uhm... no?

I don't know that any refund is involved if you get kicked out or drop out. The money's spent.
He didn't get kicked out, the fraternity as a whole got closed. That's not his fault. At least that's the way I'm reading it. It's kind of illiterate.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

The way I read it, the fraternity was put on probation or something while he was a pledge, so they weren't allowed to initiate him and he dropped. In that case, I don't believe you get your money back. There was another thread about this somewhere, but since the fraternity incurs costs as a result of having him as a pledge, the fees they paid to headquarters and the money they spent on him for pledge programming has been spent and it was paid for out of the dues he paid. If he signed a contract to pay the full amount and he did not pay it all before he dropped, they may be able to keep billing him until it's paid in full. If he didn't sign anything, then I don't know.

However, this was my artistic interpretation of a poorly worded question.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
He didn't get kicked out, the fraternity as a whole got closed. That's not his fault. At least that's the way I'm reading it. It's kind of illiterate.
Snaps, I'm retarded.

Or he is. It's one long run on sentence. But yeah, you're right on this one.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 11-22-2009, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the answer guys that was greatly appreciated. I did not sign anything at all. They just ask for my address and started billing me. I did pay for my pledge semester. Then the next semester they called me a "brother." But I am still a pledge because I can't go into the meetings or participate in brother rituals. On top of that I cannot have any national benefits. I did not get a membership badge and knew nothing an initiate should know about.