Welcome to our newest member, Christos-Cyp
» Online Users: 1,169
2 members and 1,167 guests
MSKKG, PrettyBoy

Old 09-28-2009, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmom View Post
I am curious for those legal minds on GC - where would "statute of limitation" laws come in play? I thought that only murder had no limit. Does rape, or child molestation have no statute of limitation? Is this a state by state thing, or is it federal law?

Also, if the victim does not want to testify, then won't it be difficult to get a conviction? or, has he plead guilty and is just evading sentencing?
He pled guilty, served time in psychiatric evaluation, and was released.

ETA: It looks like we posted our responses at the same time. The whole thing is just weird to me.

The victim also says that her mother gets dragged through the mud every time the case is mentioned. That must suck as well.

Last edited by Munchkin03; 09-28-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmost2 View Post
You are wrong. She already made her decision when she went to the police 35 years ago. Polanski was already sentenced. She does not get to decide his fate after the fact.
Hi Madmax!
Old 09-28-2009, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
Way to take her power away yet again.
You really can't see how it's a somewhat-dangerous precedent to set to give the victim that kind of responsibility? The criminal justice system is designed to eliminate that kind of subjective need.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I heard on NPR today that he was arrested this time in Zurich because the DA in California heard that he was going to be in Zurich to accept an award that was being widely publicized. They said that they had issued paperwork for warrants before but Polanski wouldn't show up after all. This time, everything just worked out. He showed up at the airport, and they were waiting for him! About time! He deserves to pay for the crime of drugging a child and raping her.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 09-28-2009, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSig RC View Post
You really can't see how it's a somewhat-dangerous precedent to set to give the victim that kind of responsibility? The criminal justice system is designed to eliminate that kind of subjective need.
Yep.

Justice is not for the victim, it's for society. Polanski's crime is the sort of thing which if it goes unpunished (i.e., the rich being able to skate on child rape because they have the resources to get the hell out of Dodge before sentencing) can undermine the public's confidence in the criminal justice system.

I don't give a damn what this man has done to atone for his sins or what he has contributed through his craft. He's still a child rapist and should serve his time. In this case, his sentence will hopefully work out to the balance of his life.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 09-28-2009, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I don't give a damn what this man has done to atone for his sins or what he has contributed through his craft. He's still a child rapist and should serve his time. In this case, his sentence will hopefully work out to the balance of his life.
I totally agree. No matter how I try to look at this, he raped a child. Period. Fuck his movies.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSig RC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Yep.

Justice is not for the victim, it's for society.
Agreed with both - our system is set up that way for a good reason.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't like the idea of letting someone off who ran away to avoid sentencing. Isn't there some sort of extra punishment for that?
Old 10-06-2009, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Polanski loses first round in extradition battle

BERN, Switzerland – Roman Polanski lost the first round Tuesday in his battle to avoid extradition to the U.S. for having sex in 1977 with a 13-year-old girl.

Already locked in a Zurich cell for the last dozen days, Polanski learned he will remain incarcerated for an extended period as the Swiss Justice Ministry rejected his plea to be released from custody.

Swiss authorities expressed fear he might flee the country if freed from prison. The director of such film classics as "Rosemary's Baby" and "Chinatown" has been wanted by U.S. authorities since fleeing sentencing 31 years ago.

"We continue to be of the opinion that there is a high risk of flight," said ministry spokesman Folco Galli, explaining the decision.

Galli told The Associated Press that the threat was too great for the government to accept bail or other security measures in exchange for the release of the filmmaker.

Polanski was apprehended Sept. 26 as he arrived in Zurich to receive an award from a film festival. Authorities in Los Angeles consider him a convicted felon and a fugitive, and Switzerland says there has been an international warrant out on him since 2005.

Full Story