GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Gamma > Gamma Sigma Sigma
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,200
Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,307
3 members and 1,304 guests
Xidelt

Old 04-02-2009, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PADFSUGirl2K2 Send a message via Yahoo to PADFSUGirl2K2
What's your take on this?

Hey fam,

I need your opinion on this. As I received an e-mail from Karen about possibly reactivating the Alpha Kappa chapter here at FSU, I was sitting here thinking how would this affect a strong membership in GSS when APO is co-ed on campus. Also, how would other Gamma Sigs feel about members sharing dual membership? I love my frat but some of you know I wanted to pursue Gamma Sig prior to me joining APO. I had recruitment questions for Karen but I haven't heard anything from her as of yet about it so in the meantime, I'll stick to this.

YiS,
Cynthia
Old 04-02-2009, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gamma_girl52 Send a message via Yahoo to gamma_girl52
Well, you knew I was going to answer...

From my observation of Gamma Sig being on campuses in which APO is already there (and very co-ed), USUALLY Gamma Sig isn't affected. People will choose which organization that want to join. Either GSS will be their best fit or APO might be. Plenty of Gamma Sig chapters do very well with APO there.

To answer your other question, I personally do not have a problem with a soror also being a member of Alpha Phi Omega as well. I think eventually you'll have to make a decision about which organization will get more of your time. I say this because I know of several sorors that were actually APO members first, then pledged GSS and eventually just gave their time entirely to GSS. They didn't necessarily give up their APO membership, they would still attend events and such, but we knew them more as GSS sorors.

If you'd like we can chat more privately about it. There's more to say.

"Life is filled with many things to Befriend, Love, and Serve..."
Old 04-03-2009, 08:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PADFSUGirl2K2 Send a message via Yahoo to PADFSUGirl2K2
*laughs*

I got your message on FB so here I come. :-D
Old 04-06-2009, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to blessed_1 Send a message via Yahoo to blessed_1
I don't see why it should be a problem, I am pretty sure the two can co-exist!
Old 04-14-2009, 08:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessed_1 View Post
I don't see why it should be a problem, I am pretty sure the two can co-exist!
I don't see any reason they can't co-exist at a school that size. There is some overlap in those who might be interested in both, which probably would make a difference at an extremely small school (a school of 1000-1500 students would be more likely to be able to support one than both at reasonable membership numbers)

However, Florida State a) has 31,000 students, b) the APO chapter is at about 100 brothers as of this last pledge class and c) has a close by GSS chapter to help with extension, so I think it would be a great extension possibility.

Randy
Old 04-26-2009, 09:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to GammaGirl2K7 Send a message via Yahoo to GammaGirl2K7
I see no problem with it. If anything, you're getting best of both worlds and double the service! :-)

Much love to my 25/52 Fam! Aint no bond like the one we got! Service is a habit, so get like us!
Old 05-11-2009, 12:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Blu-Scholar
I agree. Like Gamma_Girl 52 said, ppl will choose what they want to do and there will be no issues to it. If a person so chooses to join GSS over APO (and vice-versa) It was happen and thats that.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:37 PM
GreekChat Member

i agree with the comments here...alpha eta has done very well even though zeta phi is majority female....BUT...i would just give this advice, let it be nown to the powers that be that GSS isnt in a competiton or anything stupid like that...we had quite a few people try to get rowdy because they felt some kind of way we wanted to bring GSS back when APO had just returned the year prior
Old 07-04-2009, 08:37 AM
GreekChat Member

While you do *not* need permission...

It might be useful to talk to the chapter president of the APO chapter at FSU either one on one, or possibly with a relatively neutral party (head of the community service office or something) or APO advisor.

Some good possible things that might come out of it... If they remember any women who was interested in APO but decided against it because of either everyone being brothers or the "men of Alpha Phi Omega" in the toast song. If they have any service projects that they would be willing to do jointly, or maybe they've had service projects that they haven't been able to do because the group doesn't want to deal with a fraternity (women's shelter).

Randy
Old 07-05-2009, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gamma_girl52 Send a message via Yahoo to gamma_girl52
I agree with Empress on that one as unfortunate as it is...we have had instances of that happening OR if APO comes onto campus, then all of a sudden we have an interest group for Gamma Sig...that raises my eyebrows as well...I usually don't feel better about it until I have a conversation with the potential group.

Cynthia are you still interested in doing this? You can inbox me.

"Life is filled with many things to Befriend, Love, and Serve..."