Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 991
0 members and 991 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 11:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I want to be an Alpha

Hello to all of the honorable ice ice cold brothers of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc. I am a freshman right now but will be a sophomore next semester. I have been interested in Alpha Phi Alpha since my senior year in high school and I am so eager to join next semester. I have been doing research over the last couple of months and plan to do so over the summer. I was wondering exactly what I might need to know, what I need to research. I want to know this so that when I do go out to pledge I can show that I am more than serious about being an Alpha, I want to show that I am 100% dedicated to the cause and am willing to go the extra 100 miles to join it. I have attended programs and met the brothers on campus. No other fraternity fits me. Even though I'm told that I look like a kappa, I feel in my heart I am supposed to be an alpha. if anyone could help me, I would be more than grateful.

thank you

and hopefully I can come back to you guys as a brother, not just a potential sphinxman.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd40 View Post
Hello to all of the honorable ice ice cold brothers of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc. I am a freshman right now but will be a sophomore next semester. I have been interested in Alpha Phi Alpha since my senior year in high school and I am so eager to join next semester. I have been doing research over the last couple of months and plan to do so over the summer. I was wondering exactly what I might need to know, what I need to research. I want to know this so that when I do go out to pledge I can show that I am more than serious about being an Alpha, I want to show that I am 100% dedicated to the cause and am willing to go the extra 100 miles to join it. I have attended programs and met the brothers on campus. No other fraternity fits me. Even though I'm told that I look like a kappa, I feel in my heart I am supposed to be an alpha. if anyone could help me, I would be more than grateful.

thank you

and hopefully I can come back to you guys as a brother, not just a potential sphinxman.
Concentrate on your grades.

Discretion is important.

Books: Try African American Fraternities and Sororities: The Legacy and the Vision , Black Greek 101 This isn't the only research out there.

We can't answer membership questions.

Good luck to you.

Last edited by Phrozen1ne; 03-31-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you very much. I bought the book and I am doing the research. You have been very helpful. I appreciate it.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for your interest in our beloved organiziation. You may want to inquire if your local library has a copy The History of Alpha Phi Alpha by Charles H. Wesley.

Post Script: Don't worry that folk think that you look like a Kappa. I still get asked if I'm a Kappa after all these years. Looking good is rewarding but my brain has been the instrument that has made me who I am.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Truly understand what you are saying

I want to know this so that when I do go out to pledge I can show that I am more than serious about being an Alpha, I want to show that I am 100% dedicated to the cause and am willing to go the extra 100 miles to join it. TODD40

I too appreciate your interest... Much of what it takes to be an Alphaman is more in careful thought, effort, deed and ACTIONS... not in intentions or desire... The fact that much of our success comes from our actions:

-pursuit of academic achievement and the mentorship of others;
-dedication to the betterment of campus and community;
-respect for self and those around us;
-strong, diverse background as a foundation for our careers;
-provision of a secure and stable homelife for our families...

These are what make a strong member of this organization...and others as well!

Even though I'm told that I look like a kappa, ... Can't live your life on how you are perceived... YOU must be comfortable and confident with who you ARE! Are you a Scholar, and is your activity in the classroom displayed in your grade reports? Are you a Investor, putting work in your campus and community as a volunteer for those in need? Are you a Leader, and are the organizations you belong to or volunteer for provide a true reflection? As one who reviews applications for membership... these are the "documented indicators" which provides assistance with assessment.

The part about "willing to go the extra 100 miles to join it" I hope is a metaphor... We frown on negative steps in any fashion, regardless of reason. The work begins AFTER membership is attained and is a LIFELONG COMMITMENT...not convenient accessory when socially or professionally acceptable. Many profess the same words you provided...many turned desire into positive action...and some satisfied their lust but failed or forgot to provide investment

Godspeed in your aspirations...

The Return of N4SIR5
Old 04-18-2009, 12:37 AM
GreekChat Member

thank you

I just want to thank everyone for their advice. I wanted to let you all know that I am on the Dean's list, I am a lifeguard and swim instructor, and I am thinking about volunteering at the high school in my town. I'm doing the research and I do not intend on going through anything the organization deems inappropriate. I respect the values the organization embodies and wouldn't do anything to compromise them. I wanted you all to know that.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Your welcome. Now it would be in your best interest not to type anything more about THIS matter.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:40 AM
GreekChat Member

You are on the right right path . . . . Dean's List - CONGRATS - perhaps I will be welcoming you the organization soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd40 View Post
I just want to thank everyone for their advice. I wanted to let you all know that I am on the Dean's list, I am a lifeguard and swim instructor, and I am thinking about volunteering at the high school in my town. I'm doing the research and I do not intend on going through anything the organization deems inappropriate. I respect the values the organization embodies and wouldn't do anything to compromise them. I wanted you all to know that.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Are you a Scholar, and is your activity in the classroom displayed in your grade reports?

I am also an aspiring member and I was worried about my past grades. I am going into my junior year in college and I currently have a 3.2 GPA, but some of my previous grades on my transcript were not so decient. I am really active in the community and am also doing research, but even though my GPA is good now, will this effect how I am looked at?
Old 06-17-2009, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

lol.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:59 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm sorry - no more comments about membership. Instead, ask the Brothers on your campus.
Closed Thread