GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

» GC Stats
Members: 326,146
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,212
2 members and 1,210 guests
daidtexaxd5442, JayhawkAOII

Old 05-25-2009, 11:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Night at the Museum 2

Did anyone catch Night at the Museum 2? I just saw it and I thought it was pretty cute, but not as funny as the original!

Any thoughts?

Old 05-26-2009, 05:46 AM
GreekChat Member

I saw it with my kids yesterday and I was laughing out loud numerous times. I enjoyed it. I thought it was quite well done and I don't usually care much for sequels. I thought this one was on par with the first. The first may have seemed funnier because of the uniqueness of the idea, but they filled this one with pretty funny lines too. I loved Oscar and Darth!

OH! And the Archie Bunker chair! And the lisp.. OMG!
Old 05-26-2009, 07:24 AM
GreekChat Member

I never saw the original, so I have no basis of comparison, but I liked it. I LOVE Amy Adams.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetagirl218 View Post
Did anyone catch Night at the Museum 2? I just saw it and I thought it was pretty cute, but not as funny as the original!
Agree on both points -- good but not as good as the original. Hank Azaria is hilarious, though.

What I like as much as anything is that last night, my son was doing research on Al Capone and Ivan the Terrible. (LOL that The Wiki actually does say that "Ivan the Awesome" might be a better translation of Ivan Grozny.) Got to love a movie that actually makes the kids want to learn more.

And was I the only one who thought of the GC Alpha Gamma Deltas when Octavius encountered the local . . . wildlife?
Old 05-26-2009, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I was quite excited when I realized what it was
Old 05-26-2009, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: somewhere in an area where we usually get all four seasons :)
Send a message via AIM to sceniczip
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
I never saw the original, so I have no basis of comparison, but I liked it. I LOVE Amy Adams.
Amy Adams was so good as Amelia! I really liked it a lot, especially the end. The Einstein bobble heads were hilarious!
Old 05-26-2009, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Agree on both points -- good but not as good as the original. Hank Azaria is hilarious, though.

What I like as much as anything is that last night, my son was doing research on Al Capone and Ivan the Terrible. (LOL that The Wiki actually does say that "Ivan the Awesome" might be a better translation of Ivan Grozny.) Got to love a movie that actually makes the kids want to learn more.

And was I the only one who thought of the GC Alpha Gamma Deltas when Octavius encountered the local . . . wildlife?

No, MC, I immediately thought of Alpha Gamma Delta, and that it is a good thing the squirrel didn't turn out to be one of the bad guys!
Old 05-31-2009, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

My sister was sitting next to me and was like.....Who is that Russian dude? I just shook my head slowly....

Now when I teach about Russian history next year, my kids will think of this movie!

Old 06-01-2009, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Personally, did anybody else catch the Jonas Brothers as the cherubs? I thought that was hilarious...as was the lisp. And just Hank Azaria in general. I just wish that Owen Wilson/Jebediah would've had a bigger part :[
Old 06-01-2009, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

As a scholar of history, Custer as a character KILLED ME. I also liked the Alpha Gam moments.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
(LOL that The Wiki actually does say that "Ivan the Awesome" might be a better translation of Ivan Grozny.)
I'm a Russian Studies major so please excuse my unsolicited lecture on this - but yes (!) "awesome" is a much better translation than "terrible." The word means terrible in a "mighty" "fearsome" "awe-inspiring" way. The negative connotation was given by tree-huggers who are critical of his, shall we say, aggressive political methods. It just goes to show you how differently Russians view their political leader that they would call this guy awesome.

End hijack.

Anyway, my mom highly recommends the movie, lol.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
I'm a Russian Studies major so please excuse my unsolicited lecture on this - but yes (!) "awesome" is a much better translation than "terrible." The word means terrible in a "mighty" "fearsome" "awe-inspiring" way. The negative connotation was given by tree-huggers who are critical of his, shall we say, aggressive political methods. It just goes to show you how differently Russians view their political leader that they would call this guy awesome.
Not unlike King James uses of "terrible": "For the LORD most high is terrible; he is a great King over all the earth." (Ps: 47:2) (Or for that matter, use of similar words like "awful," such as in Isaac Watts' hymn, "Before Jehovah's Awful Throne.")

Thanks for the lesson.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetagirl218 View Post
I just saw it and I thought it was pretty cute, but not as funny as the original!
We took clients to see it today and I must say I agree with the sentiment above. I don't think it was a bad movie, but not nearly as good as the original.