Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,402
2 members and 1,400 guests
AOIIalum

Old 03-29-2009, 12:54 AM
GreekChat Member

GOP transparency push seen as attack on Michelle O.

House Republicans are pressing for a change in federal law that could force Michelle Obama and future first ladies to do more of their policy work in public. But Democrats warn President Obama may take the attempt personally “as an attack on his wife.”

The GOP effort is being led by the ranking member of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Calif.), whose initial salvo was rebuffed recently at a contentious committee markup session. Under Issa’s amendment, any government policy group that Mrs. Obama or another first spouse regularly participates in would be subject to a law requiring meetings to be announced in advance and, in most instances, public.

At the March 10 markup, Issa’s proposal triggered more than 35 minutes of impassioned debate. I’ve linked video of the exchange below, but Democrats clearly seemed to be recoiling at what some viewed as an effort to target Mrs. Obama.

Rep. William Clay (D-Mo.) suggested President Obama might see the legislation as a personal provocation that could trigger a fight. “Let me ... caution my friend from California that, as you’re probably aware, this president is very guarded about his family,” Clay said. “I think that, no matter what you’re intending with this amendment, that the president may view this as an attack on his wife. And I’m just saying, you know, let’s be careful--if we want to open up that can of worms. Let’s not go in that direction.”

“We are trying actually to protect the historic role of the first lady,” Issa insisted, repeatedly invoking the “transparency” mantra of the Obama administration. “I believe this is open government at its finest.”

“What is protection to one person may be just the opposite to another,” Rep. Elijah Cummings (D-Md.) observed.

Issa’s amendment would have effectively overturned a 1993 federal appeals court decision which held that First Lady Hillary Clinton could be considered the equivalent of a federal employee. The court ruled that Clinton’s involvement in a presidential Health Care Task Force was not enough to render the group an outside advisory panel which had to meet in public and disclose its records. After the health reform effort cratered, the Clinton Administration gave up the legal fight and released the records.

link

I thought the First Lady was an unelected position...so why NOW when they didn't push thus bill last year, the GOP is all of a sudden pressed about it now?

When she becomes a federal salaried worker, then yeah, I can see soemthing like this put into place.

Next thing someone will be pushing a bill to monitor the daughters' activities especially if they get onto the student council.
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”

Last edited by DaemonSeid; 03-29-2009 at 01:01 AM.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Issa is an ass. He boohoo'ed and cried when the "authorities" thought he might be a suspected terrorist after 9-11--because of his Middle Eastern ancestry... Foul, but now he sees how people in the projects feel when ASSumptions are made...

He is doing this because, he wants to show that he is one of the good ole boys, too, by going after the first lady because she has excellent credentials for side projects that most First Ladies would do, anyways. This is just his way of clamoring for power. Issa is one of Gov. Pete Wilson's boys--Petey wrote IOU's to government workers in the early 1990's when California's economy was in the toilet before...

Let's just say, Issa is a twat--he says daily, "I LIKE CHOCOLATE MILK!!!" when his helmet is on... How he gets re-elected is beyond me. If you want to take this fool out, have look at his PAC financial records... It's probably a best seller on the fiction list...

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 03-29-2009, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Issa's an odd guy...I'm thinking specifically when he talked about oil prices when commenting on Tim Russert's death.

That said, it's an interesting issue. As a general matter, if the First Lady is going to be involved in policy work, I don't think transparency is a bad thing. That said, I think it's a bit more complicated than that, and I'm wondering if Issa is defining "policy group" a bit too broadly.

And DS - you know perfectly well that both parties act differently when the opposite party is in office. Heck, the Obama Administration is advocating the Bush Administration's positions in court with respect to the detainment of terrorism suspects, but there hasn't been the same outcry from the Democrats in Congress. Congresspeople change the issues they push (or don't push, as the case may be) depending on who is in office.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSigkid View Post
Issa's an odd guy...I'm thinking specifically when he talked about oil prices when commenting on Tim Russert's death.

That said, it's an interesting issue. As a general matter, if the First Lady is going to be involved in policy work, I don't think transparency is a bad thing. That said, I think it's a bit more complicated than that, and I'm wondering if Issa is defining "policy group" a bit too broadly.

And DS - you know perfectly well that both parties act differently when the opposite party is in office. Heck, the Obama Administration is advocating the Bush Administration's positions in court with respect to the detainment of terrorism suspects, but there hasn't been the same outcry from the Democrats in Congress. Congresspeople change the issues they push (or don't push, as the case may be) depending on who is in office.

We ALL know that but, it's been a little more saltiness than usual as of late *wink*
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 03-29-2009, 10:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSeid View Post
We ALL know that but, it's been a little more saltiness than usual as of late *wink*
Haha, yes, I forgot about that massive right wing conspiracy against the President.

I'll have to tell the other Republicans that you're on to us!
Old 03-29-2009, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSigkid View Post
Haha, yes, I forgot about that massive right wing conspiracy against the President.

I'll have to tell the other Republicans that you're on to us!

SSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhh...it's not a secret if more than 2 people KNOW!!!
Old 03-29-2009, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe they can add to the same bill that the First Lady will get paid for all of this important work, too.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 03-29-2009, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

As long as they don't use bailout money . . .
Old 03-29-2009, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm fighting communism, and Huey Longism...