Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,628
2 members and 1,626 guests
Phrozen Sands

Old 10-02-2008, 12:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Newbie Mom with a new Pi Phi daughter!

I am new to this forum and new to the world of sororities as I was not in one in college. My daughter just finished rush at UCLA (along with 800 other girls!). Pi Phi was a favorite but not her #1 but she has jumped right in and seems very happy. The hardest part is that most of her new friends she met during Welcome Week, including her roomate, all ended up in another sororoity.which was her top choice. She seems to be getting over it but it was very hard at first.
She has been with her sorority every night since Bid Day (Sunday) with some activity or other and I am hoping she will remember she is at college and has classes to worry about! Do things slow down a bit after the first few days after bid? She has always been extremely driven and academic but this is all very exciting for her and she has really been looking forward to college and joining a sorority. I know she will want be involved in all the activities as she is not one to sit out and observe. How do these girls keep the grades up while having the time of thier lives? Support and advise is welcome from the experts!
Old 10-03-2008, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
In my experience, yes, the first few days are some of the busiest of any new member period. However, there will be some other extremely busy times, like big sister week and the week before initiation.

Pi Phi is very concerned about its members' academic success and there should be academic enrichment time set aside for new members.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:45 AM
GreekChat Member

How is your daughter doing now, btw?

Having a lot on my plate in college really helped me manage my time better. Plus, I was always self-motivated when it came to grades and academics, so Pi Phi did not detract from my natural tendency to stay on top of my work. Hopefully your daughter is the same way, and her involvement in Pi Phi provides her balance and an outlook outside of schoolwork.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

TigerPiPhi: Thanks, my daughter is doing very well. School is now in week 6, Big/little Sis week is over and initiation is Nov. 22. They seem to have on average about 3 social/dinner events each week and then other voluntary events like intermural sports, etc. She just went through med-terms and feels she did well so I guess she is learning to balance everything. She was always really good at being extremely busy and managing to do everything well so let's hope it continues. We were there for Presents as it was parents weekend and could see that she has made some wonderful friends in her sorority. I guess I am just hoping that she doesn't end up majoring in social life!
Old 11-07-2008, 01:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Glad to hear she's doing OK. I'm sure she'll be fine. They try to keep things busy during the pledge period to keep you looking forward to initiation. After initiation things will settle down a bit, and she'll have more time to focus on school and rest!