GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Delta Delta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,164
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, ibtisamkhan
» Online Users: 1,031
1 members and 1,030 guests
No Members online

Old 09-25-2008, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

tri-Delta at URI

Hello!

I'm a sophomore at URI and I am looking into re-colonizing the Phi Tau chapter of tri-Delta!

Are any of you out there former members of this chapter at URI?

or

Has anyone re-colonized a chapter at their school, and can offer any advice?

Thanks Ladies!

Liz
Old 09-26-2008, 10:19 AM

Is URI open for Panhellenic expansion? You can't just up and recolonize a chapter if the school is not open for expansion.

Are the rest of the sororities at total?

Have you gone through recruitment previously?
Old 09-26-2008, 10:29 AM
GreekChat Member

I realize that.

I'm really just looking into what this would require and would like to hear some/any advice or suggestions.

I am in the process of talking to my school, along with tri delta.

Again, basically just want to find out more information-- and i realize i cant just "up and recolonize a chapter at my school"
Old 09-26-2008, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile Extension

You might consider contacting the Tri Delta extension committee. The DDD website has the information you need. Extension is a complicated process and usually takes some time. As the above post stated the campus has to be open for expansion before a new or returning GLO can be added to Panhellenic.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I was on the Extension committee for Maryland's Panhellenic Association. I'm not sure how much you've communicated with URI's Campus Panhellenic or with Tri Delta HQ, but based on your questions, I don't think you have any understanding of how Extension works.

A campus has to be open for Extension for it to happen. There are two reasons that a campus would open for Extension:

1. An increasing trend in Panhellenic membership with all chapters at or very close to campus total. In this situation, a Campus Panhellenic would choose between increasing campus total or opening for Extension. Every campus is different, and housing/meeting space is often a big deciding factor.

2. A local sorority or interest group that wishes to affiliate with an NPC sorority.

Straight from the NPC Manual of Information, 14th Edition (page E-1 for those following along):

"It is unethical for an NPC fraternity to establish a chapter on a campus without the approval of the proper authority." Proper authority at URI is the Panhellenic Association. That's an NPC Unanimous Agreement. That means Extension doesn't happen unless the Panhellenic Association votes for it.

To open for Extension, you have to convince the NPC Regional or National Delegates for each sorority at URI that Extension is a good idea. Though the chapter Panhellenic Delegates officially vote, they are advised how to vote.

Once a campus is open for Extension, they send out information packets to NPC sororities that do not have active chapters at the campus. Interested NPC sororities notify the Campus Panhellenic. Usually 3 groups (sometimes 2 or 4) are invited to present to the Campus Panhellenic and one of them is chosen.

Now, by saying you "want more information on how to bring Tri Delta to URI", you're making a lot of assumptions.

1. You're assuming that URI is open for Extension.
2. You're assuming that Tri Delta is interested in URI and able to commit to colonization at this time.
3. You're assuming that URI's Panhellenic would choose Tri Delta.

So let's back up. I have two big questions for you, the same ones 33girl asked.

1. Did you go through recruitment at URI?
2. Is URI open for Extension?

And BTW, it's Tri Delta. Two words. Both capitalized. No hyphen.

Last edited by violetpretty; 10-02-2008 at 06:28 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh please try!!! I grew up 10 minutes from URI and now I go to school in Florida and I would be so happy to go home and have some trideltas around! If you need any help let me know!