Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,477
2 members and 1,475 guests
Cookiez17, John

Old 09-10-2008, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Mom of a new Phi Mu looking for ideas

My daughter just pledged Phi Mu, Kappa Beta (I'm SOOOO happy for her). I'm a Pi Phi and it's been a long time since I was active so I'd like your suggestions for little gifts for her. Of course she already has plenty of things from her weekly Buddies (they are spoiling her with picture frames, key chains, flip flops, cute homemade gifts...). Any suggestions?

Also, it has been so long that I forgot about how we ordered our badge at Pi Phi. Mine is just a plain arrow and I'd like for her to have a badge with seed pearls. Should I buy one of the antique ones that shows up on Ebay so that it goes to a Phi Mu or order a new one? How would I order her the one I want?

Thanks for your input!

Proud to be the mom of a VSU Phi Mu
Lisa Rodriguez
Pi Beta Phi, Georgia Alpha
Old 09-10-2008, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

There's a debate on whether to "save" badges or not. On the one hand - you can get really cool antique badges that you wouldn't get otherwise AND you can make sure that a Phi Mu has it, but on the other hand, some people (myself included) think that by buying them up at a high rate, we encourage people to sell them.

I'd check with Phi Mu's HQ and see what their stance on the issue is. Also, you may have trouble ordering because some HQs may not allow non-members to buy badges, although if it's a gift you may get around it but I'm not sure (I've never tried to buy another organization's badge).

As for gifts - you could get her a pin box to keep her badge in.

ETA: One of my sisters (who was my roommate at the time and is now my sister-in-law) bought me a pin box from Things Remembered and had it engraved for me for my graduation from college. You can get greek letters or really anything you want engraved on those, and I take it with me everywhere and actually keep more of my precious jewelry in it.

ETA (Again): I just realized I totally snuck in on a Phi Mu thread! Sorry!

Last edited by agzg; 09-10-2008 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Remembered something
Old 09-10-2008, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

https://carnationcollection.phimu.org/

Personally, I'd leave the decision of what type of badge (plain, jeweled, etc.) up to your daughter. There is lots of other cool stuff at Carnation Collection.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:44 PM
GreekChat Member

First off, congrats to your daughter!!

I love the rings and jewelry they have in the carnation collection. Something like that could be a nice and meaningful gift and probably something she's not getting from her buddy of the week.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

They have so much nice jewelry in the carnation collection! There is so much that I want from it. It would be more special for her to get something nice because most buddies can't afford to buy something that nice and get her all the gifts. By the way congrats to your daughter!
Old 09-12-2008, 12:10 AM
GreekChat Member

She will be the one filling out the information on which badge to get... usually the whole chapter will fill in one big order form and send it in to HQ.

I would have loved it if my mom had insisted on a fancier style! Just let her know ahead of time and I'm sure she can fill you in on what's available.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats to your daughter. I would not buy her a badge from Ebay. All new members are required to purchase a badge, so she would end up with 2. You could tell her to pick out the one she wants and you will pay for it.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks to all the great Phi Mus that offered advice! We went to Parents Weekend and got to see the happy Lil Phi! Can't wait for Greek Parents Weekend in March!