Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,483
0 members and 1,483 guests
No Members online

Old 08-10-2008, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NickoJCU
I think the minutes are going to be emailed out later this week (Our LC was selected as the Convention Secretary, so I'll ask him to make sure)

There were Ritual decisions discussed however, so I will not post them here- I will PM you when I have them, or will remove the Ritual related information and post it.

a.e.B.O.T. Congratulations on receiving your charter! I am sure Senator Lugar's presence could have helped you.

And to close out this post I'd like you all to save room in your calendar for:

170th General Convention
July 20th-August 2nd, 2009
Biltmore Resort & Spa
Phoenix, AZ
Old 08-10-2008, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to a.e.B.O.T.
Lugar was awesome, but it was the CHAPTER brothers that did it...

It was interesting though to see Senator Lugar cry. It made it extra emotional.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:28 PM
GreekChat Member

a.e.B.O.T. congratulations on getting your charter! That is awesome.

On the GPA issue, I am personally glad that did not pass. It is critical that we push for strong GPAs at all chapters, but to codify it with consequences brings- I think- a great deal of instability. If it is a hard and fast rule, it can only take 2-3 guys screwing up bad to bring a chapter down- especially at a smaller chapter. At more academically competitive schools, or schools where most Betas tend to be in Engineering or other tracks where GPAs tend to be lower- this creates an undue burden.

I personally think a 2.5 overall GPA is a reasonable expectation- more than reasonable- but a brother's study habits and decisions are a hard thing for a social organization to police to the extent that would justify putting an entire chapter on the line.

Does anyone know if they got 1,000 attendees at the Saturday banquet? I got the email last week that they were close.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EE-BO View Post
Does anyone know if they got 1,000 attendees at the Saturday banquet? I got the email last week that they were close.
they did, almost exactly
Old 08-15-2008, 08:14 AM
GreekChat Member

That was a whirlwind week/weekend. I love facilitating, but it does tend to wear us out by Sunday.

Quote:
Forty chapters were given the Sisson Award- a record for chapters since the award was created. One chapter has even won the award for twenty-three consecutive years. (I do not remember which)
I believe that was Georgia Tech or Auburn.

Quote:
What I do know is that the motion to make the minimum GPA a 2.5 failed, AGAIN. Very disappointing for some
I thought our national GPA was already a 2.7 and they were attempting to make it a 2.8 or higher. My chapter operates with a 2.8 standard and it's really not that difficult. If you can't manage a 2.5 in college, I believe it's time to reevaluate priorities and abilities. That's just my honest opinion.

In regards to ritual, I believe they voted to keep the updated/changed version in trial mode again for the next year.

"There is a destiny that makes us brothers, No one goes his way alone;
All that we send into the lives of others, Comes back into our own."
~ Edwin Markham
Old 08-15-2008, 09:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECUJacob View Post

I thought our national GPA was already a 2.7 and they were attempting to make it a 2.8 or higher. My chapter operates with a 2.8 standard and it's really not that difficult. If you can't manage a 2.5 in college, I believe it's time to reevaluate priorities and abilities. That's just my honest opinion.

In regards to ritual, I believe they voted to keep the updated/changed version in trial mode again for the next year.
Nope, Def. 2.3. I watched the proposal and some of the discussion. I also went to the microphone myself. When it was proposed to be 2.5 and the floor was open, a ridiculous amount of people rushed to the mic to speak against the proposal. Sort of side really. One thing you have to consider is, obtaining a certain GPA is different from school to school as the schools are vastly different. However, I think a 2.5 is more than reasonable.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
One thing you have to consider is, obtaining a certain GPA is different from school to school as the schools are vastly different.
Although I don't disagree with that, I think we can all agree that no matter what school/university you attend, you should not strive for a grade of 75-80.

I'm not usually one to try and split hairs, but I want to make sure that we have the right information. I guess it's the advisor in me and the need to make sure that undergraduates know what they're required to do. The GPA requirement is mentioned in several places.

According to http://www.betathetapi.org:

Quote:
Beta Theta Pi maintains a minimum standard of 2.7 for a chapter GPA and a 2.5 for each member.
According to The Son of Stars, and our Code:

Chapter XIII Scholarship, Section 2

Quote:
SECTION 2. Minimum Chapter Academic Standards and Assisting Procedures: (1) Minimum Chapter Academic Standard: Each chapter shall maintain an academic average for the chapter, consisting of all the grade point averages of all the pledges and all the collegiate members, of no less than 2.5 on a four-point grading scale or its equivalent for each calendar year.
Chapter XIII, Section 3:

Quote:
SECTION 3. Minimum Member Scholastic Requirement: In addition to requirements set forth in Section 2, each chapter should strive to maintain a chapter average equal to or exceeding the local All Men’s Average. In order to achieve that goal, each member is required to maintain a cumulative grade point average of not less than a 2.5 on a four-point grading scale or its equivalent; provided however that any member having at least a 2.5 for the most recent grading period shall be deemed to meet this requirement.

"There is a destiny that makes us brothers, No one goes his way alone;
All that we send into the lives of others, Comes back into our own."
~ Edwin Markham
Old 08-17-2008, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok, so I went back at the code and read that, and your right about the 2.5... and there is nothing there about a 2.3. So, now I am confused about what the debate was about at the discussion, because everyone was profusely talking about how a 2.5 is too drastic.