Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,421
1 members and 1,420 guests
Cookiez17

Old 06-26-2008, 09:41 PM
GreekChat Member

PLEASE HELP, I'm Nervous About My Move to Houston, TX!!!

Hello Everyone,

I am in need of some advice. I just graduated and have accepted an offer with a very prominent company in Houston. The problem is that I'm getting more scared everyday. I am from a small city (New Orleans) and Houston is just so huge. Everyday my nerves are bothering me more and more. I have been to many cities, but it was only short-term, I even lived in Harlem for 3 months. Please give me some advice on how to deal with this. I am driving myself crazy, even the apartment hunt is killing me. I just want to calm my nerves. I Love New Orleans because everybody knows everybody. LOL. But, I know its not the best place to be Post-Katrina, so I chose to start my career elsewhere. But I think that I am starting to regret it. I leave in approximately 2 months, and I just don't know what to do. Please Help Me If You Can!!!
Old 06-29-2008, 10:50 PM
GreekChat Member

HOUSTON IS FUN

First, you need to calm down and take a chill pill. You chose to accept this job offer and move. What you are experiencing now is...Fear Of The Unknown. You are scared about leaving everyone and everything that is familiar to you. It is starting to hit you that you will be in a town where you won't know anybody (Are you Greek? Check into your Houston area alumnae club). Be social - this new job will require adjustment, but think of it as being like freshman year of college-all over again. Every new life stage requires letting go of the past & embracing the future.

Congratulations on the new job! For a big company in Houston to want you, you must be special. Treat yourself like you are, and embrace the new possibilities that Houston offers. The apartment? Don't sweat the small stuff. Call some apartment rental companies and have them do the work. Think of the excitement of starting over, and start to look forward to your move.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I lived there several years ago.

Do you know what part of town you are going to be in?

Hint..avoid 610 traffic around the Galleria.

I haven't checked your other posts so I don't know if you are Greek, if you are, does your group have an alumnae group there? They would/should be a wonderful source of info!