Members: 326,172
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,439
3 members and 1,436 guests
amIblue?, John, navane

Old 03-20-2001, 02:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to MaMaBuddha Send a message via AIM to MaMaBuddha Send a message via Yahoo to MaMaBuddha
Post HOw do you feel about...

...women in the Fraternity.

i've met several pirate (all male) chapters that act as if we don't exist.

talk to me...

Old 03-20-2001, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Good question MamaBuddha

Because my chapter and many of the chapters around us had a lot more women than men. Interesting...
Old 03-20-2001, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gamma_girl52 Send a message via Yahoo to gamma_girl52
I'm not a brother, but I'm a member of Gamma Sigma Sigma Service Sorority (your sister historically).

I personally think that women in the frat isn't something to get upset about. The fraternity is co-educational, that means men and women can join. Unfortunately there are some chapters and some brothers individually that do not agree with women joining.

I say, if you feel comfortable being in APO, then don't worry about what others think...this is what you wanted to join, and if you're doing something positive then that is what's more important. I'm sure that APO is so much bigger than the opinion of a few.

Sisterly,
gamma_girl
Old 03-20-2001, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to pirate00 Send a message via Yahoo to pirate00
Quote:
Originally posted by gamma_girl52:
I'm not a brother, but I'm a member of Gamma Sigma Sigma Service Sorority (your sister historically).

I personally think that women in the frat isn't something to get upset about. The fraternity is co-educational, that means men and women can join. Unfortunately there are some chapters and some brothers individually that do not agree with women joining.

I say, if you feel comfortable being in APO, then don't worry about what others think...this is what you wanted to join, and if you're doing something positive then that is what's more important. I'm sure that APO is so much bigger than the opinion of a few.

Sisterly,
gamma_girl
Hey! We meet again! You are so right, sis.
I believe eventually all chapters will eventually re-charter. Mine is a happy co-ed chapter and I'm proud to call my fellow mwmbers,be they male or female, my brother, and I would go to battle alongside anyone of them!!!
Old 03-20-2001, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Speaking honestly, if I had a vote in 1976 I would have voted nay on making it co-educational. We all know what the decision was though. In saying that, I had mad respect for my female brothers. My chapter unfortunately had to be re-invigorated in the Fall of 1989. When I pledged in the Fall of 1998, I was made by some very good brothers period. Yeah the male/female thing was weird in the beginning. I mean I had pledged Kappa Alpha Psi over a year ago before that so I was use to a fraternity being made of all men. After the initial shock, I can truly say that I wouldn't trade the women that I've encountered in my chapter for nothing in the world. My big brothers made sure that me and my pledge brothers knew our history. My Pledgemaster who was a female, was just as hard as any man has ever been on me. The history of Alpha Phi Omega was drilled into me. I have fond memories of APO and Iota Rho and I am still making memories. I hold APO just as near and dear to my heart as I do Kappa.

------------------
KAPPA ALPHA PSI FRATERNITY, INC.
SPR 97
XI LAMBDA
Old 05-04-2001, 09:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Skeet Skeet!!!

I have to say young men should not get upset about women in the fraternity, And I agree with Nupe4Life as well. I do believe in the purpose of all male chapters however. And there is an effect in the membership of all male chapters.

I was told of a Sectional Conference at Dillard in which Lucius Young spoke. He was cornered with the same question. How does he feel about women in the fraternity. He stated that he doesn't have a problem with women in the fraternity, but he also believes that they (coed chapters) should remain separate from the all male chapters.

Why? is this. It is because all male chapters would like to remain all male. And they are teaching the initial purpose of the fraternity. The history today has been bleached and is spoken with out the inspiration it once had in telling the fraternal purpose of Alpha Phi Omega. The older history moves you to the point to where you genuinely know that this organization's initial purpose was blessed by the spirit of the Lord.

This is how I feel.

So, if a female is in Alpha Phi Omega, fine. It doesn't move me away from attempting to continue what Frank Reed Horton dreamed of. And if she would like to do some service, let's go knock it out. I'll see you at conferences and conventions.

------------------
JayBEE!

Ay-Phi-Que!
Alpha Alpha Lambda Chapter
Alcorn State Unversity
Fall, October 18th 1980
President, Brothers of the Rising Sun, Atlanta Alumni Chapter of Alpha Phi Omega
JayBEE's State Of Mind
The AyPhiQueGammaSig Family Homepage
Old 03-04-2002, 04:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow! I did not realize that was an issue. In our chapter (Beta Mu) we have more girls than guys and we have set goals in trying to get more guys into our chapter during rush. I understand why soem chapters may want to remain in male in light of the original way it was, but I think that girls being in APO is great. Our chapter looks at it this way, the more members the merrier. The more people we have the more good we can do and the more people we can meet and thats what I have seen APO to be about. Making friends, being a leader, and helping people.
Old 03-11-2002, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gamma_girl52 Send a message via Yahoo to gamma_girl52
I agree with you!

Much love to all my brothers in Blue and Gold!

Sisterly...