Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,667
3 members and 1,664 guests
Cookiez17, naraht, UW_dawg

Old 04-15-2008, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Portfolio

So, I've decided to make a portfolio to take with me to job interviews. I'm trying to get into the accounting/finance field. I have no paid experience, or formal education (yet). My financial experience is from being FVP of my chapter, and now, as financial advisor for another chapter, as well as some work on the Budget & Finance Committee for student government. I'm investigating online grad school options in finance and/or accounting right now.

I'm thinking about including documentation of practices that I've written from scratch (since my chapter was brand new) as well as an easier-to-understand FVP Things to Do list that I created for the SouthEast territory regional officer training (FVP session). Basically, this document was more in depth and more updated that the FVP Manual for headquarters.

I thought about adding some fiscal budgets, worksheets on how I determined the budget (as far as receipts and disbursements), and funds request letters we submitted to Student Government.

Can any of you think of any other types of things that might be good to add to a portfolio for someone in my situation? I've actually found alot of jobs that I'm able to apply for, based on requirements, and I even have an interview this weekend, but I need something else to show employers, given the fact that my experience is unpaid.

Any advice? Thanks!

Last edited by amanda6035; 04-15-2008 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Accounting or Finance

If you're indecisive between Accounting or Finance here's a little bit of advice to chew on.

Your CPAs will live their life dealing with things in the Past.
Your CFAs will live their life dealing with things in the Future.

Get some salt on your back out in the field, get some education and you decide if it's truly accounting or finance that's best for you.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

If you're interested in public accounting (Big 4 firms), they will mostly be interested that you have enough credit hours to sit for the CPA exam, that you know how to manage competing priorities, and how to deal with different types of people. I'd suggest really narrowing down what you are interested in doing, and going from there. The finance and accounting fields are very broad.