GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,156
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, Aliciasmith
» Online Users: 805
5 members and 800 guests
Aliciasmith, John, PhoenixAttain, Xidelt

Old 06-02-2008, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to unspokenone25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygreek View Post
I think it is unfair to compare WTE with the book and SATC with the TV series and then say the latter was better.

Movies seldom stay completely true to the book, plus readers have also formed their own images of characters, etc. This can lead to disappointment in the movie.
LG, that's a good point. However, I thought that How Stella Got Her Groove Back was a good movie and it was closer to the book than WTE. I just think that WTE went far, far away from the book. That combined with horrible acting from Lela Rochon (Fuqua) and Whitney "CrackisWack" Houston made it a "HATED IT" movie for me.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I was about 21 when I read WTE and 24 when I saw the movie. The book was so, so, so good and was one of the first I'd ever read about 'grown black women', so contextualize my love affair with the book. I identified with Savannah and her sophistication.

I walked out of the theater, MAH. My girlfriend who had not read the book was looking at me like I was crazy because of my ranting. She thought it was the best thing she ever saw, since it was the first movie that 'she' saw featuring successful black women. So in essence, we were both craving the same thing, something to identify with.

As the years passed, WTE had to grow on me. I never jumped up and down for any of the movie portrayals, except the way Angela flung that cigarette. But frankly, I cared the least for Loretta Devine's character for one reason only...Terry McMillan told her that she needed to gain weight to play Gloria, and Loretta hasn't lost that weight yet. Personally, I think that was a cruel choice for Terry to put out there for her; who wouldn't have wanted to star in a movie with that cast? They rewrote the rest of the movie, why couldn't they have had an average-sized Gloria?
Old 06-02-2008, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey yall, not trying to get anything started, but just did a google search and turned up the following in a Wikipedia article about WTE. Seems there actually IS a connection between SITC and WTE the movie....If anyone else can dig up more facts surrounding this keep us posted.

Under the Trivia section:

A brief controversy involving Whitaker and HBO regarding the HBO drama Sex and the City ended with Whitaker ultimately winning an undisclosed settlement from the network. Whitaker claimed in an interview with US Weekly that Jessica Parker and HBO "stole my show and are trying to get me."

Evidently, Forest Whitaker was/had something to do with HBO and SITC at one point regarding directing or something. I never knew this.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow, I never knew that….

I read WTE after seeing the movie. I loved, and still love, both. I don’t know if I can compare the two. Yes, they are both about a set of friends…. But to me that’s where it ends. I love SATC so much because it made me feel okay to think that my best friends could be my soulmates (especially cool because there are four of us as well). I think I identify more with SATC as far as the friendships and the stations in life (however, I think it’s destructive to encourage women, ESPECIALLY Black women, to live beyond their means), but when I’m in pissed off sista mode, nothing satisfies like WTE!
Old 06-02-2008, 04:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jitterbug13 Send a message via Yahoo to jitterbug13
Quote:
Originally Posted by unspokenone25 View Post
LG, that's a good point. However, I thought that How Stella Got Her Groove Back was a good movie and it was closer to the book than WTE. I just think that WTE went far, far away from the book. That combined with horrible acting from Lela Rochon (Fuqua) and Whitney "CrackisWack" Houston made it a "HATED IT" movie for me.
We are >>here<< again. The only differences in Stella was the ending and Whoopi's character. Highlight for those who have seen the movie: She was already dead when the book started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinderella View Post
I was about 21 when I read WTE and 24 when I saw the movie. The book was so, so, so good and was one of the first I'd ever read about 'grown black women', so contextualize my love affair with the book. I identified with Savannah and her sophistication.

I walked out of the theater, MAH. My girlfriend who had not read the book was looking at me like I was crazy because of my ranting. She thought it was the best thing she ever saw, since it was the first movie that 'she' saw featuring successful black women. So in essence, we were both craving the same thing, something to identify with.
Since I was 16 when WTE came out, my mother had to take me. To this day, she is the only one I know who hated the movie and never read the book. She was even saying that Whitney should give her a refund. . Most people who have read the book hated the movie and those who have never read the book loved the movie.

"I'd rather be hated for what I am than loved for what I'm not."--Kanye West

"Black is the new President."--Tracey Morgan
Old 06-03-2008, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
SATC vs. Waiting to Exhale

SATC series vs. Girlfriends

Answer = SATC

Although, Waiting to Exhale was good and Girlfriends was great (before Toni left).
I agree 100% althought I would have never compared the two.