Members: 326,169
Threads: 115,578
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,292
0 members and 1,292 guests
No Members online

Old 04-02-2007, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I was a member of PSK at Clarion beginning Fall 1976. Though I've lost touch with most everyone I went to school with, I'm curious as to what is going on with the situation between the Administration and the Chapter? Is the 'non recognition' for a specified time?
It was sad for me to see that most of the fraternities that were active on campus during my days are no longer around. Groups like Theta Xi, Theta Chi, Sigma Chi look to be no more. From what I know, the University no longer allows 'local' fraternities, they must be affiliated with a National organization. Although never perfect, Greek Life can be a great addition to a students life at college.
Keep me informed if possible.
TMH
Old 04-02-2007, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMH30144 View Post
I was a member of PSK at Clarion beginning Fall 1976. Though I've lost touch with most everyone I went to school with, I'm curious as to what is going on with the situation between the Administration and the Chapter? Is the 'non recognition' for a specified time?
It was sad for me to see that most of the fraternities that were active on campus during my days are no longer around. Groups like Theta Xi, Theta Chi, Sigma Chi look to be no more. From what I know, the University no longer allows 'local' fraternities, they must be affiliated with a National organization. Although never perfect, Greek Life can be a great addition to a students life at college.
TMH

No idea what's up with Clarion! I hadn't heard anything about the non-recognition. I do know they tend to be a strong chapter.

I'd give HQ a call and talk to Nick Waldo or Michael Carey. 317/573-5420

Nick is member services director, and Michael is the executive director.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:24 AM

Quote:
TMH
YAY Clarion people older than me on GC!!

I was an ASA at Clarion in the late 80s. If you want to PM me, I can update you on some of the guys you mentioned.

Did you join the yahoogroup they mentioned in the alumni bulletin?

As far as what's going on w/ Nu Pentaton, from what PSK480 told me when I saw him, they are getting better numbers than any of the recognized fraternities. If that keeps up, I think the admin will basically have to re-recognize them.

Last edited by 33girl; 04-03-2007 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PSK480
As of right now the University is looking to have Sigma Phi Epsilon recolonize in the Fall of 2007 and Sigma Nu start colonization efforts the next spring or fall. I'd like to see what Sig Ep and Sigma Nu think of the Greek Plan. I can't imagine any (inter)national fraternity being thrilled about it.

We're doing well even with other orgs looking to expand. We've left the university alone and they seem to be doing the same to us. We have 18 actives right now and are looking at getting 3 in either by the end of this semester or right at the beginning of next. Even if we keep getting better numbers and good press I don't know how willing the administration would be to re-recognizing us. It's possible, but, I know I won't be in Clarion to see it. I have to be graduated or gone before they even think about it.
Phi Sigma Kappa - Nu Pentaton #480
"From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." -William Shakespeare
Old 04-24-2007, 02:35 PM

If any of the Sig Ep alumni from Clarion assist in this effort, please let me know, because I will want to take a picture of the pig flying overhead.

Is the Greek Plan online anywhere? The site for the Call hasn't been updated in years.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm kept in the dark and fed $hit like a mushroom as much as the University can. I do get information from back channels when I can, so I have no clue if any Sig Ep alumni are assisting.

I don't believe the Greek Plan is anywhere online. They IFC/Panhel pages haven't been updated in a while. The only copy I have is a year and a half old now. I've been trying to get my hands on a new updated copy for a while. I'll have to do some hounding, but if I can get a copy I'll send it to anyone who wants it. You'd think that as a branch of state government they should make all policies public and available to the public through the Freedom of Information act. Hell, I can find out how much each professor makes thanks to the FOA.
"From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." -William Shakespeare
Old 10-25-2007, 04:50 PM

This is a little late, but I just wanted to report that Nu Pentaton was out in full force at Clarion's recent homecoming, much more so than any of the recognized fraternities from what I saw, and they had really cool shirts (that unfortunately, us of the female persuasion weren't allowed to buy as they had letters on them).

You guys rock and I'm proud to call many of you my "brothers in law."
Old 10-28-2007, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Even though we keep our noses clean and do plenty of community service the university just seems to keep gunning for us. We're still recognized by the national fraternity, yet, KDR lost both campus and fraternity recognition continue to operate underground and the university isn't doing anything about it. I long ago stopped trying to figure out how the university's policies and actions make sense.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I found it interesting that in the most recent Clarion University Alumni Newsletter, there was a big block story about Wesley Semple, the founder of PSK at CU, had been named to fill a vacancy on the Grand Council of National. Quoting from the article: "Semple was the founding brother of Phi Sigma Kappa's Nu Pentaton chapter, which has had a presence at Clarion since 1964." That sounds to me like the university, in some respects, still considers PSK 'active'.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
I found it interesting that in the most recent Clarion University Alumni Newsletter, there was a big block story about Wesley Semple, the founder of PSK at CU, had been named to fill a vacancy on the Grand Council of National. Quoting from the article: "Semple was the founding brother of Phi Sigma Kappa's Nu Pentaton chapter, which has had a presence at Clarion since 1964." That sounds to me like the university, in some respects, still considers PSK 'active'.
At the time, it still was open and so they kind of had to say that. For the record, the chapter at Clarion was closed this past winter under much duress.

You can email PSK HQ or Mike C. about it as I don't want to put it all out here, that is for one of the brothers to do if they see fit. I will go on record as saying that the way they handled themselves in this situation is something for ALL fraternity men to be proud of. Then again, that is not all surprising given the history of the caliber of men in this chapter.